Transmission pan

pantera928

I recently observed this transmission pan under my 1980. It looks very fancy compared to what I usually see on GM 350 and 400 transmissions.

Looks to be cast aluminum instead of just stamped steel. Is this normal on these cars?

Thanks

AvantTrannypan.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Avanti83 said:

Look aftermarket from here. I doubt Avanti Corp would add that cost unless a customer asked and paid for it.

Don't see it on the build sheet. I like it though

Aftermarket...popular among the boy racer scene.  The aluminum drops a little bit of weight and the fins are supposed to aid in cooling the transmission fluid by shedding heat faster.  Whether it truly does that to any effective degree is probably more theoretical than practical.  

That one does look deeper than stock...probably adds a quart or more capacity which by itself would aid fluid cooling but reduce ground clearance and be more prone to damage.

1 hour ago, Gunslinger said:

Aftermarket...popular among the boy racer scene.  The aluminum drops a little bit of weight and the fins are supposed to aid in cooling the transmission fluid by shedding heat faster.  Whether it truly does that to any effective degree is probably more theoretical than practical.  

That one does look deeper than stock...probably adds a quart or more capacity which by itself would aid fluid cooling but reduce ground clearance and be more prone to damage.

Well, since the Avanti has a ton of ground clearance compared to what I usually drive, I won't be too concerned there. Guess I will have to get a steel one and go run at the local strip and see if one makes the car faster🤣

It is kind of surprising since this is a 26K mile car and so totally unmolested and original

Thanks

Note the stack of spacer washers on the body mount in the right of the picture.   This "factory" solution to raising the body looks like something from a back alley garage.

One advantage to the aluminum pan is that it's very stiff and less likely to leak fluid.  Standard stamped steel pans have a bit of "springiness" to them and depending on gauge and quality of manufacture can more easily allow leaks to start.

RQB 3263/81-305    DEFINATELY "HOT ROD" AFTERMARKET.....and a good thing at that....probably cost $150  back in the good ole days...not leaking dont touch it....extra volume a plus .... and may have a handy drain plug on the back end not visible in pic.... you got lucky.... keep up the good work...WRG

On 1/12/2022 at 8:15 AM, Jim78 said:

Note the stack of spacer washers on the body mount in the right of the picture.   This "factory" solution to raising the body looks like something from a back alley garage.

Well, that is how they did it. Looks hokey to me too but every one I have seen looks like this.