Hi Output Avanti!

mfg

2 hours ago, mfg said:

Sorry,....the answer here is FALSE!:(

Please explain how you are disagreeing with Studebaker Sales Letter No. 161.  "14" high output fan" is a direct quote from that Sales Letter of the items included with the R3 package.

15 hours ago, mfg said:

A part of the Studebaker Avanti optional R3 engine package was a 14" high output fan.....True?

My reasoning for saying false is based on the wording of your question: "optional R3 engine package."  I believe that the 14" fan wasn't a part of the normal R3 package, but was an option.

--Dwight

28 minutes ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

My reasoning for saying false is based on the wording of your question: "optional R3 engine package."  I believe that the 14" fan wasn't a part of the normal R3 package, but was an option.

--Dwight

You 'nailed it' again Dwight!:) WELL DONE!

As an aside...no doubt Studebaker engineers realized a 14" engine fan would only complicate engine cooling issues in hot weather, bumper-to-bumper traffic conditions!;)

41 minutes ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

--Dwight

Not true according to Sales Letter 161.  The 14" fan was one of the items included in the R3 package.  On the other hand, a 4-speed or AT were required options.  

2 minutes ago, mfg said:

As an aside...no doubt Studebaker engineers realized a 14" engine fan would only complicate engine cooling issues in hot weather, bumper-to-bumper traffic conditions!;)

The final part of SL 161 covers this.  "This engine...is not regarded as ideally suited for city driving under heavy traffic conditions.  We offer no warranty on this engine because of the highly specialized conditions of its use."

2 minutes ago, studegary said:

Not true according to Sales Letter 161.  The 14" fan was one of the items included in the R3 package.  On the other hand, a 4-speed or AT were required options.  

No, you are wrong about that Gary:(  (and I have a copy of Studebaker Sales Letter 161)........According to the article authored by Carl Thompson, Fred Fox, and George Krem..............

"One apparent error exists in the '161' sales letter......The 14" hi-output fan listed as standard was a 'special order' option....The R3 was normally equipped with the 17" fan used on the other Avanti engines"

The 14" high -output Avanti fan was definitely an option, also, (and check me on this) I do not believe any of the nine 'production' R3 Avantis were built with 14" engine fans?

Gary, you mentioned that you carefully studied the engine compartment of Avanti R5643...You should remember something like this!:o

27 minutes ago, mfg said:

The 14" high -output Avanti fan was definitely an option, also, (and check me on this) I do not believe any of the nine 'production' R3 Avantis were built with 14" engine fans?

Gary, you mentioned that you carefully studied the engine compartment of Avanti R5643...You should remember something like this!:o

Not from decades ago and thousands of other cars since.

Yes it does....and what a GREAT R3 engine photo!:)

So I'd say at least this last Studebaker Avanti was delivered with the H O engine fan!:o

(Unless it was added earlier in R5643's life??)

Edited by mfg
Added...Unless..........

Brad....After reading Dwight's post, that extra clearance could be due to the body being shimmed higher off the frame on the R3 engined models....

Someone would have to measure the diameter of the fan on R5643 to know for sure.:)