Avanti Volume!

mfg

The combustion chamber volume of an original Avanti R3 cylinder head is.....?..... cc.

1) 54......2) 61......3) 68.....or....4) 72

Edited by mfg

2 hours ago, r1lark said:

Service Bulletin SB-201 from Paxton dated 7/1/64 says 66cc +/- 3cc, so I'll say #3, 68 cc since this falls into the tolerance range.

Sorry Paul, unless there was a change made regarding the size of the R3 engine's combustion chambers, you are INCORRECT!:(

10 hours ago, mfg said:

Sorry Paul, unless there was a change made regarding the size of the R3 engine's combustion chambers, you are INCORRECT!:(

So here is my source. When this is done, you can upload your source and we can compare. :)

R3 data p1.jpg

39 minutes ago, r1lark said:

So here is my source. When this is done, you can upload your source and we can compare. :)

R3 data p1.jpg

Looks like combustion chamber volume 55cc's ??...Do you want to go with 54cc's now?:huh:

1 hour ago, mfg said:

Looks like combustion chamber volume 55cc's ??...Do you want to go with 54cc's now?:huh:

Gosh Ed, better get your eyes checked! :D  Here is a zoomed version:

R3 data p1 zoomed.jpg

Yep.....MUCH BETTER:D!.........My info, taken from a letter from the Studebaker General Service Department dated 1/8/63, indicates 61cc's. (possibly an earlier version of the head on the "A Series" 299ci  R3 engine?)

Your much later info indicates 66cc's.....So I'll 'split the difference' with you and call the answer 63.5 cc's, in hopes that someone like Brad Bez, who has rebuilt a couple of these engines, will chime in with the definitive answer to this AVANTI TRIVIA question.....Ed:)