Jump to content

Inside Rear view mirror. Prototype?


Leo B
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, I just bought this magazine Motor Trend July 1962. Avanti 1963 Road Test.

Was this inside rear view mirror prototype?
 

Näyttökuva 2022-1-8 kello 15.27.04.png

Näyttökuva 2022-1-8 kello 15.42.23.png

Edited by Leo B
Photo added
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure was, several, if not all the earliest prototype (or "EX") Studebaker Avantis utilized a dash mounted rearview mirror. (note how large the mirror head is!)

The production windshield mounted mirror, with its 'tiny' mirror head and low mounting....was definitely a step in the wrong direction!:(

I believe you can see this same dash mounted rearview mirror in photos of the Bonneville "Due Cento" Studebaker Avanti!:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mfg said:

Sure was, several, if not all the earliest prototype (or "EX") Studebaker Avantis utilized a dash mounted rearview mirror. (note how large the mirror head is!)

The production windshield mounted mirror, with its 'tiny' mirror head and low mounting....was definitely a step in the wrong direction!:(

I believe you can see this same dash mounted rearview mirror in photos of the Bonneville "Due Cento" Studebaker Avanti!:)

Yes. Much better and looks same design as outside rear mirror.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Leo B said:

Yes. Much better and looks same design as outside rear mirror.

I agree, but perhaps the Stude engineers thought it obstructed forward vision too much????....(I would guess they would have simply mounted the mirror in the 'normal' above the windshield position but for the Avanti overhead light/heater controls switches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As an aside, for the longest time I had the inside rearview mirror in my own '63 Studebaker Avanti (63R1379) installed onto the windshield four or so inches down from the upper header....and it 'worked' quite well in that position! (I also used a larger mirror head during this time)

However, when I had a new windshield installed in my Avanti a few years ago, I went back to the tiny 'factory' mirror attached to the windshield in its 'factory' near the bottom location....just for the sake of originality......SILLY ME!!!!!!!!!!:o :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, mfg said:

As an aside, for the longest time I had the inside rearview mirror in my own '63 Studebaker Avanti (63R1379) installed onto the windshield four or so inches down from the upper header....and it 'worked' quite well in that position! (I also used a larger mirror head during this time)

However, when I had a new windshield installed in my Avanti a few years ago, I went back to the tiny 'factory' mirror attached to the windshield in its 'factory' near the bottom location....just for the sake of originality......SILLY ME!!!!!!!!!!:o :D

No, no. Not a silly.B)
I prefer oginal vehicles as they where. If I want something better I buy new one. I think its very important to respect history and vehicle culture including all discomfort it had.👍
Nom de plume "save vehicle culture"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mfg said:

I agree, but perhaps the Stude engineers thought it obstructed forward vision too much????....(I would guess they would have simply mounted the mirror in the 'normal' above the windshield position but for the Avanti overhead light/heater controls switches.

Race and speed vehicles drivers and riders dont look back.  Everythig is ahead 🤣

Edited by Leo B
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first Avanti I ever went to see with the idea of buying was one from the late Roger Penn...back in the very '70s.  It was pretty much a base level Avanti...no p/s...no a/c...did have a PowerShift transmission though.  I was still in school and didn't have the dollars so I had to decline.  The one thing I remember about it was the dash mounted rear view mirror.  Five or six years later when I did buy an Avanti and learned all I could about them was that only the prototypes had the dash mounted mirror...it was a prototype car I almost bought.  Shoulda found the money somehow.

I ran into Roger Penn at the York swap meet about ten yers ago...he remembered me...a real gentleman.  When I told him the car was a prototype he didn't realize that.  He said after I didn't buy the car he had a pop-up sunroof installed in it before eventually reselling it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mfg said:

As an aside, for the longest time I had the inside rearview mirror in my own '63 Studebaker Avanti (63R1379) installed onto the windshield four or so inches down from the upper header....and it 'worked' quite well in that position! (I also used a larger mirror head during this time)

However, when I had a new windshield installed in my Avanti a few years ago, I went back to the tiny 'factory' mirror attached to the windshield in its 'factory' near the bottom location....just for the sake of originality......SILLY ME!!!!!!!!!!:o :D

Studebaker Service Letter F-1964-7 is for the relocation of inside rear view mirror and improved mounting stem (mirror placed higher for better rear view).  The new mounting spot is 3.5 inches down from the weatherseal (for top of base).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At 6’ 5” I sit tall in most cars unless I can power the seat to a low position. For me, most rear view mirrors obscure my view of the road. The mirror in the low position only blocks out my view of the hood, not the road. Not sure what the original intent of the low mounted mirror was, but it did work for some of us!  Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Footer said:

At 6’ 5” I sit tall in most cars unless I can power the seat to a low position. For me, most rear view mirrors obscure my view of the road. The mirror in the low position only blocks out my view of the hood, not the road. Not sure what the original intent of the low mounted mirror was, but it did work for some of us!  Mike

And, Studebaker's president was 6' 4"!  He monkeyed around with what should have been a designer's decision in requiring the sun visors to be tiny, so maybe he interfered with the mirror design also.

--Dwight

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

And, Studebaker's president was 6' 4"!  He monkeyed around with what should have been a designer's decision in requiring the sun visors to be tiny, so maybe he interfered with the mirror design also.

--Dwight

Very possibly!.......however in my humble opinion inside rearview mirror location had much to do with placement of the light/heater switches.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...