1969 Wiper and Washer questions

DaveDee

I recently purchased a 1969 and cannot find information on what replacement wiper or wiper refill to use.  The wiper is very short about 15 inches I think.  Also should the car have a windshield washer?  Sorry if this has been answered but I could not find anything on this site.  Thanks!

18 hours ago, pantera928 said:

Wiper blades are like asking people which paint color you like best. I have tried several different brands and still have no favorites.

THere should be a washer

I am not interested in brand but just what number of a brand or brands to look for.  I cannot find exactly what to buy and have found most "name" brands to be acceptable.  So hopefully you can send me in the right direction.  If there should be a washer then I will assume that it was not an option and someone must have removed it along the way.  How was it triggered?  Thank you for your help.

My '71 has a vertical rocker switch on the dash panel (low and high wiper speed). In the center of the switch is a button that activates the windshield washer. I have an inline pump and a FoMoCo reservoir bag (gotta get a Stude bag). As far as the blades go, I replaced the bayonets with the correct silver ones). Easy find at NAPA. If this helps, I can post some pix for ya. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 10:42 AM, Desert Driver said:

My '71 has a vertical rocker switch on the dash panel (low and high wiper speed). In the center of the switch is a button that activates the windshield washer. I have an inline pump and a FoMoCo reservoir bag (gotta get a Stude bag). As far as the blades go, I replaced the bayonets with the correct silver ones). Easy find at NAPA. If this helps, I can post some pix for ya. 

I just have a round knob that activates the wipers.  There is a hole in the center of the cowl that I assume may have been where the washers would have been located.  If you can post pictures and a further explanation it would help me.  I haven't had a car this old in decades and really can't remember about the wipers.  Should I be able to get refills for my wipers?  I have wipers on my 1990 Mustang that I can get refills for.  Thank you so much for  your information.  Sorry for my slow reply but I thought I would get an email notification every time someone posted.

On 1/8/2022 at 5:43 PM, pantera928 said:

Does your car have a chrome diamond shaped piece in the center of the cowl panel between the hood and the windshield? This should be the squirters for the windshield washers.

No.  Just a hole.  Thanks for the information.

1 minute ago, DaveDee said:

No.  Just a hole.  Thanks for the information.

Well, I never heard of washers being an option but I learn new things every day. Usually the hard way.

If the hole is there, it may have been removed. Is there a reservoir behind the master cylinder or any hoses?

In the engine bay is a sticker that says my '69 has a washer. It is activated by a foot pump above the high beam switch. While "pumping" the water with the foot pump, the wipers are activated. Works like a charm. A red "Studebaker" branded bag holds the water. the nozzle is for sale: https://avantiparts.biz/nozzle-windshield-washer/

IIMG_0454.thumb.jpeg.22d02fe5b726bf85947e4aa2b54f6b16.jpegIMG_0342.thumb.jpeg.94e5044927d4ee03a05552f18bfbce2a.jpeg

A ‘69 would use the red Studebaker vinyl bag as the washer reservoir mounted on a bracket on the passenger side inner fender apron.  The washer pump would be mounted on the top of the bag.  

The washer switch could be located in one of two places…depending on when the car was actually built.  It could be a foot operated switch by the left foot…the Studebaker type…or it could be combined with the washer switch which would be pushed in to activate it.  I don’t know when Avanti Motors made the change from one to the other. 

20 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

A ‘69 would use the red Studebaker vinyl bag as the washer reservoir mounted on a bracket on the passenger side inner fender apron.  The washer pump would be mounted on the top of the bag.  

The washer switch could be located in one of two places…depending on when the car was actually built.  It could be a foot operated switch by the left foot…the Studebaker type…or it could be combined with the washer switch which would be pushed in to activate it.  I don’t know when Avanti Motors made the change from one to the other. 

In my '69 there is no electric pump, just a (left) foot pump.

My '76 had the electric washer pump mounted right above the bladder bag on the passenger side fender well, just forward of the right hood latch.  Dan Booth has the plastic cowl mounted ones you can replace the bladder bags with, but the mounting bolts go through the cowl on the driver's side and are a pain to tighten up.  My car had enough tubing that I could run from the pump to the drivers side the new container without getting more tubing.

10 hours ago, plwindish said:

My '76 had the electric washer pump mounted right above the bladder bag on the passenger side fender well, just forward of the right hood latch.  Dan Booth has the plastic cowl mounted ones you can replace the bladder bags with, but the mounting bolts go through the cowl on the driver's side and are a pain to tighten up.  My car had enough tubing that I could run from the pump to the drivers side the new container without getting more tubing.

To avoid the issue with tightening mounting nuts under the dash, use "well-nuts" like those that hold the mirrors to the door skins. 

https://www.amazon.com/RUBBER-NUT-THREADED-INSERTS-THREAD-SIZE-030-227/dp/B015EVZ6IK/ref=sr_1_11?crid=35TS2RX1C1EYN&keywords=well+nuts+10-32&qid=1645367369&sprefix=well+nuts%2Caps%2C244&sr=8-11