Avanti Undercoating?

Dunkin

All my Stude Avantis have undercoating. The 63 I am currently working on had primer before the undercoating. I believe the factory undercoating to protect the fiberglass from gravel and other debris being kicked up from the wheels. 

Of course, after all these years, the undercoating could have been added after the fact.

35 minutes ago, 64studeavanti said:

All my Stude Avantis have undercoating. The 63 I am currently working on had primer before the undercoating. I believe the factory undercoating to protect the fiberglass from gravel and other debris being kicked up from the wheels. 

Of course, after all these years, the undercoating could have been added after the fact.

Often the selling dealer applied the undercoating as an extra cost way for the dealer to earn more.

Undercoating was an option for noise silencing (as much as you can silence an Avanti) rather than rustproofing.  As already said...it was a profit maker for the dealer.  Rarely if ever was it applied at the factory.

7 hours ago, Dunkin said:

Thanks yes, I remember there was factory and the dealer. I remember a company called Ziebart that did under coating. Thanks 

Ziebart did rustproofing.  Undercoat is primarily applied to deaden sound not prevent rust.

3 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

According to trivia question on this forum, "Undercoated Avanti" on 2/17/2019, the fender wells were undercoated at the factory. Additionally, most, if not all, photos in the authenticity manual show undercoating.

Well, if you read it in 'AVANTI TRIVIA', it HAS to be CORRECT!!:D