Window motors

Ron Dame

First, Bob Johnstone's site is a wealth of information, and I am very grateful for him archiving so much information. But, being somewhat adult ADD, I run off in other directions of non-relevant info when I am looking for a specific topic. There is that much interesting and important info there.

1979 Avanti II: window motors are intermittent. Is there a link to diagnose and repair? Can someone give me that link please?

Hey Ron

I can supply a wiring diagram but that is about all. It could be anything from Bad switch contacts to a window motor needing to be cleaned and/or dying.

Easy to diagnose if I was with the car.

Best of Luck

Greg

Unfortunately, Avanti power window motors are in a location inside the door that exposes them to water, dirt, and all sorts of other corruption....As Greg suggested, look for frayed wiring, wiring loose at the switch, or the motor itself going south....If the problem turns out to be the power window motor, it not too hard a job to remove, take it apart, and give it a good clean up and lube...Doing this sometimes gets you... "a little further down the road"!:)

the link Pantera posted above is what I used to troubleshoot my window.  It now works, but not super great.  There is a pretty well regarded replacement option called Nu-Relics that some folks have done with success and that may be in my future someday.

1 hour ago, A83 said:

I replaced mine with Nu-Relics - warranty is for life  - I am happy with them - 

A83

Did you have to cut a piece of the inside fiberglass bracing to get it to fit?  That has been my primary hesitation in going with the NuRelics is I saw an install video about having to cut a segment out and it gives me a bit of pause.

35 minutes ago, JavierB said:

Did you have to cut a piece of the inside fiberglass bracing to get it to fit?  That has been my primary hesitation in going with the NuRelics is I saw an install video about having to cut a segment out and it gives me a bit of pause.

Yes you need to cut out a vertical piece in the door. I don't see how it weakens the door significantly and you end up with a warrantied functional system. 

I've posted my install before but here it is in case you missed it. Pretty straight forward.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/tech-talk/108773-avanti-nu-relics-power-window-installation?106236-Avanti-Nu-Relics-Power-Window-Installation=