Avanti R3 Power!

mfg

The Avanti R3 engine powering George Krem's "Plain Brown Wrapper" has produced, under controlled conditions on an engine dynamometer, approx ....?.... horsepower!

1) 375.....2) 410.....3) 440.....or.....4) 475

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2022 at 11:51 AM, Avanti83 said:

I'll guess 440 as he probably runs higher boost than average. 300 or so hp without boost would be about 420 at 6 psi boost more or less.

440HP is CORRECT....WOW!:o

On the issue of extra boost.  I recall a statement by George Krem indicating that his R3 engine came with the high boost pulley, and that he had not made any change.  

Do we know at what RPM his R3 was making 440 hp?  I believe the rating of 335 was at something like 5200?  And I recall reading that the boost was likely to increase a good bit at higher RPMs?  

On the other hand, I recall also reading that Ted Harbit had strict instructions from George not to exceed 6000 rpm while racing, so he may have given the same instructions to the dyno guys?

I would love to see the dyno HP of Ted's Stude Tomato.  I believe he has recorded times that were very close to George's R3?  

10 minutes ago, VtMike said:

On the issue of extra boost.  I recall a statement by George Krem indicating that his R3 engine came with the high boost pulley, and that he had not made any change.  

Do we know at what RPM his R3 was making 440 hp?  I believe the rating of 335 was at something like 5200?  And I recall reading that the boost was likely to increase a good bit at higher RPMs?  

On the other hand, I recall also reading that Ted Harbit had strict instructions from George not to exceed 6000 rpm while racing, so he may have given the same instructions to the dyno guys?

I would love to see the dyno HP of Ted's Stude Tomato.  I believe he has recorded times that were very close to George's R3?  

You make an interesting point...Horsepower does seem to go through the roof on supercharged engines where the driver never lifts his foot...It's been said that Granatelli used to push the R3 in 63R1025 to 7500-8000 RPM to "Beat the Hemis"....

All it really takes is a big wallet, and a few spare engines sitting back at the garage!!!