AC 134a retrofit parts advice

JavierB

OR... maybe the valve is in that black glob of insulation?  Both of the two AC hoses disappear into this blob, so would it make sense that the valve is there?

Maybe the copper tube is for something else involving the heater.

Javier, 

The expansion valve will be connected to one of the hoses going to the evaporator. You'll need to peel back the black insulation to get to it.  The capillary tube goes between the expansion valve and the evaporator, and is used to cycle the compressor on/off to maintain the temperature set with the control knob. 

InkedIMG_9410.JPG.cf82a3e545e87cad35f7c938452227df_LI.jpg

2 hours ago, adamderosa said:

Javier, 

The expansion valve will be connected to one of the hoses going to the evaporator. You'll need to peel back the black insulation to get to it.  The capillary tube goes between the expansion valve and the evaporator, and is used to cycle the compressor on/off to maintain the temperature set with the control knob. 

Thanks!  Yes, I figure its in that insulation blob after hunting everywhere else!  Thanks all.  I think I can actually get at that!  I hope... 🙂

On 1/8/2022 at 4:35 AM, adamderosa said:

Kodjo, 

Is the diagram you provided for an Avanti? I did not change the position of the expansion valve; it is mounted on the supply side to the evaporator. If it were on the outlet side the system would not work. 

No, it is not for an Avanti but a general layout. Indeed, the valve should be in the supply. In most cases this is the lower hose. But, as your system proves, it can also be the upper hose.

• 2 years later...

Javier,

The copper line you are referring to is the heater valve which is "thermostatic". This end goes in the airstream of the heater/defroster air flow and opens/closes the coolant flow to the heater. So no, not the TXV 🙂