Jump to content

Interior Vinyl?


Dunkin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Looking at a car that needs a lot of interior work, is material available?  Also, what are the different interior trim levels? I only had an Avanti ll once, and I know the originals are a lot different. Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not really answering your question, but I would offer.....Studebaker Avanti interiors, with possibly the exception of 1955 President Speedster or 1958 Packard Hawk interiors, are probably the most expensive postwar Studebaker interiors to duplicate.:o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this out of topic or not. If somebody needs to know Exterior color > Upholstery Interior colors 1963/1964?

Avanti Black > 1. Velvet Black, 2. Turquoise, 3. Claret Red, 4. Smoked Elk, 5. Metallic Red

Avanti White > 1. Velvet Black, 2. Turquoise, 3. Claret Red, 4. Smoked Elk, 5. Metallic Red

Avanti Tuquoise > 1. Velvet Black, 2. Turquoise

Avanti Gold > 1. Velvet Black, 3. Claret Red, 4. Smoked Elk

Avanti Red > 1. Velvet Black, 4. Smoked Elk, 5. Metallic Red

Avanti Gray > 1. Velvet Black, 3. Claret Red, 5. Metallic Red

Where is Orange? Is this later version without Orange upholstery including also Black Exterior? 1964.

+ with this you know which carpet to which upholstery (including Salt & Pepper which was changed to Black later). Correct?
https://theavanti.com/combinations.html

Knowledge requires curiosity

 

Näyttökuva 2021-9-11 kello 9.59.49.png

Näyttökuva 2021-9-11 kello 10.00.01.png

Näyttökuva 2021-9-11 kello 10.00.11.png

Näyttökuva 2021-9-11 kello 10.00.24.png

Näyttökuva 2021-9-11 kello 10.00.32.png

Näyttökuva 2021-9-11 kello 10.00.51.png

Näyttökuva 2021-9-11 kello 10.01.01.png

Edited by Leo B
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

A little addition to Leo B's info above:

Orange interiors (upholstery combination #8) were available on 1963 Avantis with gray, black, white, or gold exterior colors. (source: 1963 Avanti Color & Upholstery Selector)

--Dwight

Hi Dwight. Thank you 😊
When Orange 8. was released and when discontinued? Was it only early color to choose?
I wonder this cause my photos dont show that color. My photos have to be from autumn 1963 when both reds; Claret Red and Metallic Red where available same time.
"Knowledge requires curiosity"

Edited by Leo B
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Leo B said:

Hi Dwight. Thank you 😊
When Orange 8. was released and when discontinued? Was it only early color to choose?
I wonder this cause my photos dont show that color. My photos have to be from autumn 1963 when both reds; Claret Red and Metallic Red where available same time.
"Knowledge requires curiosity"

Orange interiors were available on '63 Avantis from the beginning of production.  In fact, the first two Avantis (63R1001 & 63R1002) had orange interiors.  I have never heard or read anything about the orange color interior being dropped before the end of '63 Avanti production, but it could be.  Orange interiors weren't available on '64 Avantis.  What you have (pictured) is a package of "update pages" for the 1964 Avanti Color & Upholstery Selector book.  These were sent to dealers about August 1963 for inserting into the Avanti Color & Uph book for the 1964 Avantis.

I read somewhere that the Avanti Claret interior was supposed to replace the Metallic Red interior for the '64 model year, but some '64s were built with red interiors anyway.  I used to own a square headlight '64 Avanti with the Metallic Red interior, so I know this for a fact.  I currently own a '64 Avanti (R5407) with the Claret interior.

--Dwight

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK. Thanks👍
Please check this. I have done an Excel. Using your info + Color Schemes + https://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1/R4000/the1964avanti.html
Something wrong or need to be added? + Of course lot of exceptions.
 

 

 

 

Näyttökuva 2022-1-3 kello 21.18.59.png

Edited by Leo B
Image updated
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, Leo B,

At a quick look the only thing I can find incorrect is that the Claret Red vinyl wasn't available on 1963 Avantis. The transition from 1963 to 1964 Avantis was gradual and complicated.  Fred Fox's article covers it well.  He states that the Claret Red vinyl was introduced in late August 1963.  This was after the start of 1964 Avanti production.

--Dwight

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Hi, Leo B,

At a quick look the only thing I can find incorrect is that the Claret Red vinyl wasn't available on 1963 Avantis. The transition from 1963 to 1964 Avantis was gradual and complicated.  Fred Fox's article covers it well.  He states that the Claret Red vinyl was introduced in late August 1963.  This was after the start of 1964 Avanti production.

--Dwight

OK. Thanks. Claret Red deleted. Photo updated.
PS. I have R-4543 Gray + Metal Red + Red/Black carpet. 99% sure its original carpet.  Article says; Red & black carpet switched to all black  R-4275
Lot of exceptions. Maybe lot of plans and instructions which are written in marketing department and still used whats left in warehouse. 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Dunkin said:

I hope this is related to this topic. What separates pleated door panels from the none pleated door panels? During my search I have seen both. Thanks 

The "Deluxe" interior had plain door panels and perforated seat inserts.  The "Regal" interior had pleated door panels and seat inserts.  The Regal interior was extra cost.

--Dwight

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2022 at 2:13 PM, Leo B said:

OK. Thanks. Claret Red deleted. Photo updated.
PS. I have R-4543 Gray + Metal Red + Red/Black carpet. 99% sure its original carpet.  Article says; Red & black carpet switched to all black  R-4275
Lot of exceptions. Maybe lot of plans and instructions which are written in marketing department and still used whats left in warehouse. 🤔

According to the 1963 Avanti Color & Upholstery Selector book your Avanti is correct for a '63 Avanti.  I suspect your car is an example of using what was left in the warehouse after the supposed change to black carpets.  There was certainly no harm done in doing so.  Many of us prefer the salt & pepper carpets. 

I suspect that Studebaker changed to black carpets to cut costs and to simplify ordering complexity.

--Dwight

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Leo B said:

Has anybody tested Sem product? Color/paint for vinyl and leather. I called to Finnish distributor and they gave me great promises.

If works then possible use light tan vinyl material and paint to correct red etc.

https://www.semproducts.com/

Yes.  Years ago I used SEM vinyl dye quite successfully on a '63 Avanti.  It had a Fawn & Elk interior, but had been in the sun so much that the console (Elk) had faded so much that it looked like Fawn vinyl.  I got the SEM vinyl dye mixed at my local FLAPSS (friendly local auto paint supply store, not to be confused with FLAPS).  Their attempt wasn't close enough for me, so they gave me 3 of the "mixers" so I could adjust the color at home. (I used a touch-up gun.)  It took me several attempts to get the color right, but I did.  Be aware that what looks like a simple tan is actually made up of several colors (yellow, red, black,  etc), so it may be difficult for the FLAPSS to get the color mixed exactly right.  (Bear in mind that I am a bit of a perfectionist, therefore the multiple trials.)

I also had to dye some of the Fawn, but that was easier than the Elk.

I used a spray-can (rattle can) SEM clear to top coat the SEM vinyl dye for durability.  My brother still has the car and the dye has held up perfectly.

If you can get the SEM vinyl dye mixed locally in Finland then you should be able to replicate my results.  They may be able to mix up the dye and put it in rattle cans if you don't have a compressor & gun. Good luck.

--Dwight

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another vote for SEM vinyl dye. I used the spray cans to change the vinyl interior color on my 74. 

It needs to be sprayed in thin coats but turns out nice.

I used a combination of gloss and satin on mine.

 

SEM Panel.jpg

Edited by Avanti83
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you! Yes. They told me it is possible to get the exact color I want. They mix it up. So it is possible to get light red interior material and paint to Electric Red like vinyl was originally. Im not in hurry, but like to spare original ones to future and use new ones. The cushions needs to be replaced anyway. Interior is possible to do here by professional but right color seems to be the problem. Sem paint might solve this.👍
Here you see my Avanti interior. Just small tears and old cushion.

IMG_2525.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Avanti83 said:

Another vote for SEM vinyl dye. I used the spray cans to change the vinyl interior color on my 74. 

It needs to be sprayed in thin coats but turns out nice.

I used a combination of gloss and satin on mine.

 

SEM Panel.jpg

Great! Nice result😎👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Leo B said:

Has anybody tested Sem product? Color/paint for vinyl and leather. I called to Finnish distributor and they gave me great promises.

If works then possible use light tan vinyl material and paint to correct red etc.

https://www.semproducts.com/

Been using SEM products for years

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...