Avanti Jobs!

mfg

12 hours ago, r1lark said:

Well, guessing here........since there were lots of ex-Studebaker employees in South Bend, I'll say 30.

Good thought!....however, 30 isn't the number:(

16 minutes ago, Footer said:

Did they all come off the Studebaker Avanti assembly line? 

Mike

Good question!.....I can only offer my opinion that no they did not all come from working the Studebaker Avanti assembly line.......Perspective Avanti ll employees were probably offered jobs based on their particular automotive skill set & expertise.

I also believe that seniority at Studebaker had little, if anything, to do with being hired to build the "new" Avanti ll:)

From what I've read...most, if not all, new hires were experienced Studebaker people.  Age and seniority were irrelevant...it was the best people available who were willing to work were hired.  I'm sure pay had something to do with it...they were pretty much all out of jobs with few prospects...especially if they were older...so they probably could have been bought cheap.  And Avanti Motors couldn't afford to to pay high union wages either as a new startup.

2 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

From what I've read...most, if not all, new hires were experienced Studebaker people.  Age and seniority were irrelevant...it was the best people available who were willing to work were hired.  I'm sure pay had something to do with it...they were pretty much all out of jobs with few prospects...especially if they were older...so they probably could have been bought cheap.  And Avanti Motors couldn't afford to to pay high union wages either as a new startup.

I agree!.... at the time, Nate Altman certainly had the "Pick Of The Litter"!:)