Avanti Radiator Surround Paint!

mfg

I noticed that the radiator surround area (under bumper) on the first production Studebaker Avanti (63R1001) was left the body color during restoration (Avanti White)......In my humble opinion, that is how it should be....however, I've read that there was an internal Studebaker memo that specified the grill area should be painted black, and outlined how to go about accomplishing same.

Does anyone out there in the Avanti world know more about this "internal memo"?:huh:

Another "if it helps":  The grille on Avantis was added during the 1963 model year production.  The first '63 Avanti would not have had a grille.  Therefore, there would be no reason to black out the area behind the grille (or behind where the grille would later be placed).

--Dwight

For what it is worth...............My Avanti #1348, That I've owned for 49 years has no grill, and when I acquired it in 1972, it had original paint and "the grill area" was painted the body color. Still is.

Your car is 1379, so my "guess" is that it did not come from South Bend with a grill. Others on this site that are much more knowledgeable than me might be able to tell you when the grill became factory installed.

John

The stone guard grill didn't come along until much later in production though many were retrofitted.  As far as paint color goes of the inlet area it seems there has never been any definitive answer discovered.  I guessed it might depend on whether Molded Fiberglass or Studebaker made and painted any particular body.  MFG supplied complete, painted bodies...Studebaker did their own so it's possible each did it their own way.

9 hours ago, John Brissette said:

For what it is worth...............My Avanti #1348, That I've owned for 49 years has no grill, and when I acquired it in 1972, it had original paint and "the grill area" was painted the body color. Still is.

Your car is 1379, so my "guess" is that it did not come from South Bend with a grill. Others on this site that are much more knowledgeable than me might be able to tell you when the grill became factory installed.

John

You are correct John my Avanti never had a grill...and no evidence of black paint around the radiator area....I wouldn't be surprised if Studebaker started with the 'blacked out' grill area when they phased in the stainless grills.:)

I find from Chassis and Body Parts Catalogue (December 1963) Before serial #4892 where without Grille. Later the Grille was sold as a Grille Kit for older Avantis.  Kit is part #1358783 page 52. Studebaker Avanti Authenticity, Manual Addendum Number One by Alana Basile. Page 48 is a advert picture about same part #1358783 Air Intake Grille and Order Form "Now Available to All Avanti Owners".

Also Studebaker Avanti Authenticity Manual (page B-74) is written: "Metal Frame that the radiator attaches is painted same colour as body color."
Hmmm... strange for me because I have black frame and does not look repainted.
I have Gray -63 and engine compartment is also Gray but not iridescent (metal) Gray. Basic Grey paint looks very original. Engine Compartment is now empty and easy to check everywhere. I will check radiator frame very close.
There is nothing else about Air Intake area in Authenticity Manual.

Edited by Leo B
Edited text

After few hours nice work I removed Radiator Frame. Its not possible to remove unless you lift the front end body at least on inch or cut a fiberglass piece and turn frame from other side like I did. This means that radiator frame has been installed before the body is finally attached to cars frame.
About the Radiator Frame.... All areas which where hidden where without paint. Areas which were seen in engine compartment, had same gray color than engine compartment. The original gray color was under black which was painted later in my car (I think). Radiator frame area below air intake was painted black. There was no grey color under black.
Conclution: Im quite sure that unpainted Radiator Frame has been installed before body and all visible areas painted (looks more like by hand) with same color than engine compartment and bottom part which is seen under air intake with black paint.
All fiberglass areas are Gray in my car and the car had never a grille.

IMG_2889.JPG

IMG_2888.JPG

IMG_2884.JPG

Edited by Leo B

14 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

thought we were discussing the body just behind the grille. Am I off track?

Hi 64studeavanti. You are not off track. My speed was too high.
I was thinking first about frame color under pumper / grill area and then my "research" went off the topic. 🤐😊

Edited by Leo B