Avanti 63R4301!

mfg

3 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

That it had "63" in its serial number, whereas all other serial numbers that late were just "Rnnnn"?

-Dwight

I can't see that as quiet, but I do agree with your statement.  The Service Letter states that the R was dropped  with R3100, but I believe that the true number was on or about R3601. 

5 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

That it had "63" in its serial number, whereas all other serial numbers that late were just "Rnnnn"?

-Dwight

Yes, I see what you & Gary are saying...Stude Service Letter G-1964-3B stated that '63' would be dropped from serial number after #3100.

For this trivia question I used the owner of 63R4301's information as printed.

6 hours ago, r1lark said:

No radio installed in the car?

You nailed it!:)...This was one of the few (and possibly only) 1963 Studebaker Avanti factory ordered "Radio Delete" car that has been documented by its P.O.:o

16 minutes ago, mfg said:

Yes, I see what you & Gary are saying...Stude Service Letter G-1964-3B stated that '63' would be dropped from serial number after #3100.

For this trivia question I used the owner of 63R4301's information as printed.

The Production Order included with the article shows the correct serial number as R-4301.

1333211588_AvantiR-4301.jpeg.ed0947d1145d7dc3b6844144ff74e8bc.jpeg

Thank you for posting R4301's P.O. Bob....the lack of '63' in serial makes sense (Good call Dwight!:))

I'm going to play Sherlock Holmes here and suggest that the "Questionable thin paint at left fender above tail lite" is a buffed through 'spot' paint repair applied to this already painted Avanti after the Studebaker body shop filled in a previously drilled antenna hole.:o

I do not see "radio delete" on the Production Order.  The radio would have been standard unless it was specifically deleted.  Perhaps the dealer removed it after build/purchase.   In that case it would not be a factory radio delete Avanti.

18 hours ago, studegary said:

I do not see "radio delete" on the Production Order.  The radio would have been standard unless it was specifically deleted.  Perhaps the dealer removed it after build/purchase.   In that case it would not be a factory radio delete Avanti.

R4301 is indeed a FACTORY radio delete Avanti...This fact has been researched by Mr. Booth of Nostalgic Motor Cars...He wrote a four page article about this Avanti, which can be found in the Spring/Summer 2021 AVANTI MAGAZINE. (You really should join the AOAI Gary, and then you'd have this information!)......Mr. Booth's copy of the factory inspection report clearly indicates R4301 was built without a radio.:)

1 hour ago, mfg said:

R4301 is indeed a FACTORY radio delete Avanti...This fact has been researched by Mr. Booth of Nostalgic Motor Cars...He wrote a four page article about this Avanti, which can be found in the Spring/Summer 2021 AVANTI MAGAZINE. (You really should join the AOAI Gary, and then you'd have this information!)......Mr. Booth's copy of the factory inspection report clearly indicates R4301 was built without a radio.:)

I am not currently a member of AOAI.  "Thank you" for pointing this out.  I have been an AOAI member for many years, including when I owned Avantis.  When I buy another Avanti I will join again.  Are you currently a member of SDC?

14 minutes ago, studegary said:

I am not currently a member of AOAI.  "Thank you" for pointing this out.  I have been an AOAI member for many years, including when I owned Avantis.  When I buy another Avanti I will join again.  Are you currently a member of SDC?

I'm not currently a member of SDC, however, it is my intention to rejoin when and if Clark Novak is replaced as administrator of the SDC Forum.

Gary, you do not necessarily have to own an Avanti to become a member of AOAI...Since you are on this forum frequently and seem to enjoy it, why not support the club?:)

2 hours ago, mfg said:

I'm not currently a member of SDC, however, it is my intention to rejoin when and if Clark Novak is replaced as administrator of the SDC Forum.

Gary, you do not necessarily have to own an Avanti to become a member of AOAI...Since you are on this forum frequently and seem to enjoy it, why not support the club?:)

I do believe that I support the club with some of my inputs on the Forum (other than the trivia part).  I have belonged to AOAI when I did not own an Avanti.  I have a lot of current, unread magazines as it is now.