differences in 1988 Avantis

pantera928

Were some 1988 Avantis longer than others? Some look to be the original length while others are longer. Why is that? Which drive better or is there a difference. Wondering if there is a much more modern feel driving one than an earlier Avanti II.

Sorry for my ignorance on these later cars

Thanks

There was the Avanti LSC which was an Avanti stretched by something like 9" or so.  Besides extra legroom in the rear it was equipped with a television mounted on the rear console.  I don't know the numbers built but it wasn't a huge number.  

I happen to stop by the factory when the first LSC was being built...still in a prototype stage more or less.

8 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

There was the Avanti LSC which was an Avanti stretched by something like 9" or so.  Besides extra legroom in the rear it was equipped with a television mounted on the rear console.  I don't know the numbers built but it wasn't a huge number.  

I happen to stop by the factory when the first LSC was being built...still in a prototype stage more or less.

Ever drive one. Different chassis than the others?

Didn't they have Paxton super charger?  Also I think the gauges were digital.  Not sure how they got the extra length.  When I went to buy my first (and only) Avanti at the One dealership in Wisconsin,  they had a Convertible and an LSC on display (Aug. 1988).  I wanted a coupe so they got one from Chicago I think.

Also I think the LSC was like an anniversary car (25th) and I think there were something like 50? built.

Edited by wdaly
more info

3 hours ago, wdaly said:

Didn't they have Paxton super charger?  Also I think the gauges were digital.  Not sure how they got the extra length.  When I went to buy my first (and only) Avanti at the One dealership in Wisconsin,  they had a Convertible and an LSC on display (Aug. 1988).  I wanted a coupe so they got one from Chicago I think.

Also I think the LSC was like an anniversary car (25th) and I think there were something like 50? built.

I think that there were one or two bult with a supercharger.  The extra length was added just aft of the door.  There were 27 25th Anniversary cars built.  The LSC was one of the regular line cars.

My 1987 Avanti is a LSC model and yes it is about 9 inches longer than the standard coupe. And it does have the rear seat console with color TV. Of course the TV does not receive any signal since at that time television was broadcast in analog. This is my first Avanti so I can not compare the ride to any other model but I can say that it is an extremely smooth ride with very responsive steering and handling.

If anyone else has a 1987 coupe or LSC I would like to hear from them as I have many questions about window and door seals. 

On 12/9/2021 at 1:55 PM, Thom said:

My 1987 Avanti is a LSC model and yes it is about 9 inches longer than the standard coupe. And it does have the rear seat console with color TV. Of course the TV does not receive any signal since at that time television was broadcast in analog. This is my first Avanti so I can not compare the ride to any other model but I can say that it is an extremely smooth ride with very responsive steering and handling.

If anyone else has a 1987 coupe or LSC I would like to hear from them as I have many questions about window and door seals. 

Hi Thom, I'm just wondering.....is the extended Avanti LSC rear quarter glass made of actual glass or is it made of a plexi composite?.....I have heard it was a composite.

On 12/11/2021 at 10:08 AM, mfg said:

Hi Thom, I'm just wondering.....is the extended Avanti LSC rear quarter glass made of actual glass or is it made of a plexi composite?.....I have heard it was a composite.

On 12/11/2021 at 10:08 AM, mfg said:

Hi MFG.....my "87 LSC has a glass rear quarter window. This may have changed in later models but the '87 model.

This was also the transitional time between the last South Bend Avantis and the first Youngstown Avantis.  While at the MCACN show a few years back, as a member of the Avanti timeline, I found out 88 black coupe was a South Bend Avanti, because there were slight differences in the engine compartment with the Youngstown Avantis.  There was also a slight difference @ the bottom of the cars as well. Many Ohio 88 Avantis had fog lights and "ground effects" to hide the frame.  I am mostly convinced my "January 88 Youngstown, Ohio build date (according to door jamb sticker)" was a leftover 87 from South Bend they transported to Ohio with all the other stuff from the SB factory.