windshield cracks... frame or not?

Ron Dame

I've got the itch again, this one is a 70's Avanti II. Frame and HTs are supposed to be "solid". It has cracks in both upper corners of the windshield.

I've not seen the car in person yet, but could this be an indication of a rusted windshield frame? No cracks or  swelling in the fiberglass, per the seller, but again I've not seen it myself.

Opinions?

10 hours ago, Mel said:

Mine didn't appear warped or in bad shape when it went to the restoration shop but look what was uncovered.

Reminds me of what I have seen on old Corvette windshield frames. Did you get it fixed? Still own it?

12 hours ago, Ron Dame said:

Thanks, that's what I am hoping. It's  near Murfreesboro TN and on eBay. Anyone here close?

I have been following this car on Ebay and wondering about the rear windshield. I get up there with my work but do not have any trips planned right now. That could change any time though

10 hours ago, pantera928 said:

I have been following this car on Ebay and wondering about the rear windshield. I get up there with my work but do not have any trips planned right now. That could change any time though

me too. Apparently his health is not good so he has been slow with responses and photos. I'm not so worried about the rear glass as long as it is not cracked.

1 hour ago, Ron Dame said:

me too. Apparently his health is not good so he has been slow with responses and photos. I'm not so worried about the rear glass as long as it is not cracked.

Sorry to hear that for him. How long of a drive is it from Asheville?

I agree that I'd want to look that one over really well. Mixture of pictures from recent to old and it certainly has seen some use/disuse since it was redone.

It could be as simple as an interior and paint restoration but even those costs will add up quickly. Be sure to drive it and get it up in the air to see the underside in good light.

Good luck in your quest.

Edited by Avanti83

Did you see it on Bob Johnstones page? Looks like it sat in a shed in Alabama for 15 years until 2017. The damage to the top of the left front fender opening is old based on that. Ad says the seats were redone but they do not look that way in the photos. Not sure why they removed the rear glass to install a new tank(Hopefully a stainless steel one) as that can be done with the back seat removed. I see potential

• 1 month later...

The body shop repainting my '76 in 2015 uncovered a rusty passenger side windshield pillar on the car, treated and repaired it.  Several years later, I had the same shop install a new windshield in my '89 Avanti convertible and found the same amount of rust and rot in the same place on it.  That also was repaired before installing the new windshield.