Kicker part in Carburetor

Leo B

Hmmm.. this R2 is also without Kicker. 5-speed. https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/readers-rides/1808/1963-studebaker-avanti-supercharged-r2-reader-ride

I guess that Kicker helps to give smooth rev change for automatic trans. Just a guess.
Main thing is that I dont have to worry about missing this part.

When the in-gear carburetor curb idle speed of an automatic transmission is properly adjusted, the additional load when an AC compressor kicks in will often stall the engine.  The throttle kicker has an adjustable stop which allows it to be set to maintain the same idle on or off AC.

Back when I could not find an Avanti part, I fabricated one from a GM u-pick unit.  They're pretty much universal.

jack vines

Edelbrock makes an electric version for their carburetors which is a near clone of the Carter AFB...pricey but available.  The throttle kicker...as Jack Vines says...is pretty much universal.  It's the bracket that changes depending on the application.  

Edelbrock a/c compensator

10 hours ago, Leo B said:

Hi, I have R2 4-speed. I dont have Kicker 0302-3 1558169. Is the Kicker only for Automatic?

IMG_2826.JPG

Hello Leo....I believe the throttle kicker is/was standard equipment on all Studebaker Avanti R1 and R2 engines, whether standard trans or automatic.

Thank you very much mfg, Gunslinger and Packard V8. This is big help. Now I understand more. 👍
I think I dont need the kicker. I dont have AC and/or automatic transmission which occasionally load idle. I will test after I have rebuilt the engine etc. Lets see.

13 hours ago, Leo B said:

Thank you very much mfg, Gunslinger and Packard V8. This is big help. Now I understand more. 👍
I think I dont need the kicker. I dont have AC and/or automatic transmission which occasionally load idle. I will test after I have rebuilt the engine etc. Lets see.

Sometimes in really hot weather R1 & R2 Stude Avanti engines would tend to load up & stall after a fast run....The throttle kicker was/is important, as it will quickly increase idle speed if it loses it's vacuum signal due to a dying engine....."kicks" the engine back to life so to speak!:D

Edited by mfg