Newbie asking questions and learning.

GarB

Good day all. My name is Gary and I'm new to the forum. I've been lusting for an Avanti since I was 10 years old(1968). I saw my first one in person at a "World of Wheels" show at the National Guard armory in DC and I was stunned!!  In 1971 I discovered a Gentlemen who lived in McLean, VA. who was the Mid-Atlantic sales Rep for Avanti. I called him up and asked if I could come and see these up close, he said "sure". I practically begged my Dad to drive me over there so I could see them up close.

We pulled up and there were 3 outside in the driveway, a Gold 63, a Red 63 and a Blue 64. I was just floored. They were all just so COOL looking!! The Gentleman came out and introduced himself "Hi, I'm Roger Penn". I asked him ever so nicely if I could sit in one and he said that would be fine. I sat in the Gold 63 and it was an amazing experience, cause it felt.... REALLY GOOD!!   He was such a nice gentleman to let this 13-year-old kid ask questions and drool.  I never forgot that day. God Bless Roger Penn.

I'm a Hot Rodder by nature and, right now, I own a 1968 Chevy C10 SWB Pickup. But as I've gotten older, I'm giving serious thought to finally fulfilling a lifelong dream and obtaining one.

As part of my intel gathering, I'd like to get a general consensus of what to look for and watch out for. With just 3 issues of the Magazine, I've learned that "Hog troughs (torque boxes) and wind shield pillars rust" are some areas to watch for, but I'd like to know what other more "obscure" issues should I be on the lookout for?  

Did the Body suffer from stress cracks, and if so what years are more prone to having that issue?

As far as the Frame is concerned, the Lark frame was used up until what year exactly? 

One last thing; I'm looking for anyone from Virginia or Maryland to correspond with.

Glad to be here. Thanks 

First...welcome!

Sad to say Roger Penn passed away recently.  He was a fine gentleman.  

Yes...hog troughs are an issue.  Make sure any Avanti you look at doesn't have problems with them or you would be looking at a very expensive repair.  The same goes for windshield pillars.  Run your fingers over the pillars from the inside of the car...if they're rusty you'll feel roughness and bumps under the vinyl.

All fiberglass cars can suffer from stress cracks...on the Avanti they can start at the base of windshield at the corners.  Another potential spot is the top of the front wheel arches.  Front coil springs also are prone to compressing with age...if the car has had wider wheels and tires installed the inner lip of the wheel arch can hit the tire on compression.  There's no real model years that are more prone or less prone...the care any particular car and its wear and tear make the difference.  If the fiberglass has been repaired at any point it may or may not have been done properly.  

Another common rust area is the tubular crossmember under the rear of the car...check it.  Replacements are available and would need welded in.  

BTW...I live in MD...feel free to contact me.

Welcome!  Also another Gary.  I am old enough to be your father 😀.

The Studebaker frame was used from 1963 to 1986, inclusive.  As mentioned, rust is a big issue.  Dash pad condition is another difficult/expensive item.

15 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

First...welcome!

Sad to say Roger Penn passed away recently.  He was a fine gentleman.  

Yes...hog troughs are an issue.  Make sure any Avanti you look at doesn't have problems with them or you would be looking at a very expensive repair.  The same goes for windshield pillars.  Run your fingers over the pillars from the inside of the car...if they're rusty you'll feel roughness and bumps under the vinyl.

All fiberglass cars can suffer from stress cracks...on the Avanti they can start at the base of windshield at the corners.  Another potential spot is the top of the front wheel arches.  Front coil springs also are prone to compressing with age...if the car has had wider wheels and tires installed the inner lip of the wheel arch can hit the tire on compression.  There's no real model years that are more prone or less prone...the care any particular car and its wear and tear make the difference.  If the fiberglass has been repaired at any point it may or may not have been done properly.  

Another common rust area is the tubular crossmember under the rear of the car...check it.  Replacements are available and would need welded in.  

BTW...I live in MD...feel free to contact me.

Good day Gunslinger. I was hoping you'd chime in. Thank you for the advice. We're not too far apart, so that's cool. I know the Frederick area pretty well. I used to play in town and around the area quite a bit in the 80's & 90's. I'll hit you up off line. 

13 hours ago, studegary said:

Welcome!  Also another Gary.  I am old enough to be your father 😀.

The Studebaker frame was used from 1963 to 1986, inclusive.  As mentioned, rust is a big issue.  Dash pad condition is another difficult/expensive item.

Hey Gary, thanks for replying. And also, thanks for the info. If you're old enough to my father then more power to ya and thanks for being around.

congrats on your taste for Avanti's. Gunslinger is a world of information as is Studegary. I have restored a 73 Avanti II and currently have a 64 R2. There are a number of cars out there, You really have to be careful on any purchase as repairs get expensive very very very fast. A huge resource is Dave Thibeault aka studedave@aol.com or  house phone 978-897-3158. It is worth a call to speak with him; Janet is his wife, as Dave often knows of cars that are sound for sale. I know as I have purchased through him a 64 R1 SuperHawk; 1 owner car.  Good luck, enjoy and be careful. Use many of the members for advice or suggestions.

Mark