interior lights

pantera928

On some cars of that era, the headlight switch was pulled outward to turn the lights on and the knob was turned to the left and right to brighten and dim the instrument lights; turning it fully to the left, after a perceived stop in the rotation, turned the dome light(s) on.  Hope this helps.

If you go to Bob Johnstone's site you can see the wiring diagram 5b for your interior lights.  Simply add a switch in parallel with the door switches going from the red/wht wire to ground.  Very simply, you are creating another "door switch".   However, this will also serve to activate your ignition key warning buzzer if the key is in the ignition.  Find the annoying buzzer and pull it from its socket.  Nobody likes that noise anyhow!

https://studebaker-info.org/Tech/Diagrams/AEC/aec.html

41 minutes ago, Jim78 said:

Seems to be the logical place for it.

Agreed. Just not visible unless your head is under the dash like mine was changing instrument light bulbs.😆

I wish there were owners manuals for these N&A Avanti IIs

7 hours ago, Kodjo said:

This is the switch integrated into the light itself right? Like the switch on the lights for the pasengers? Or is it an extra switch?

It is an extra switch next to the light on my car. I am used to ones incorporated into the light itself like you said. Everything Avanti seems to be just a little bit different.😉