Need help getting power windows to move without binding

Jim S

My 87 Convertible has really slow, tight door windows.  I have to pull them up whilst holding down the power switch or the motor will shut down.  I installed a  new front glide.  And I cleaned and re-lubed the rear track and glass rollers. I have tried every adjustment and cannot get the glass to sit level either.  When fully raised, the rear end sits higher than the front end.  I've never had more troublesome power windows in all the cars I've ever owned.  Thanks for any and all tips.

At the point your at, I'd cautiously loosen all fasteners, bolt by bolt, until (hopefully) the window will shift in position by itself....if that happens, you have found and released whatever tension is binding (or putting pressure on) that window....Also, you may need to slot or elongate certain attachment points to get more adjustment 'range'.....Tedious but doable!....Good luck,  Ed

Thank-you Ed,

I got it loosened some, but it's still slow going up.  The regulator has a roller pin on one side and the other end has a hole with a stud attached to a skinny roller.  I do not think that was original. 

On 11/23/2021 at 5:04 PM, mfg said:

At the point your at, I'd cautiously loosen all fasteners, bolt by bolt, until (hopefully) the window will shift in position by itself....if that happens, you have found and released whatever tension is binding (or putting pressure on) that window....Also, you may need to slot or elongate certain attachment points to get more adjustment 'range'.....Tedious but doable!....Good luck,  Ed

• 1 month later...

Usually, the rear track gets overlooked when replacing rollers. The clue is the crooked glass. Ther rear horizontal track that adjusts the "tilt" also has a nylon roller but is captured by the track holding nuts from easily replacing that roller. You generally have to remove the track and grind one of the nuts for clearance to slide the old roller out. Note that the track hold-down bolt holes are slotted for the tilt adjustment of the window.  

You can try adjusting the tilt by loosening the bolts, and lift the track and retighten the bolts. Up on the track lifts the rear of the glass and down on the track, lowers the back .

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, there is no helper spring.  I have no idea why it's not there.  I don't know if there's a way to wind it up if I were to find a spring someplace.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...