LEDs for instrument lights

pantera928

I ordered mine from www.superbrightleds.com - here's the link:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/1963-studebaker-avanti-vehicle-led-lights?make=86&model=1865&year=1963

You can order the LED's in red, white, or other colors. 

The hi-low rocker switch will no longer change the light intensity with the LED's. If you'd like that to work you can replace the dimming resister with an electronic module like this:

https://www.autometer.com/module-dimming-control-for-52mm-gauges-up-to-6.html

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

7 hours ago, Jred said:

I think I’m getting to my wits end with not having an illuminated dash, well only the tach and clock light up. Looking under the dash it looks like pulling the dash maybe the easiest route, is that correct?

Don't recommend pulling the dash...that's a BIG project. I've had luck by removing the driver's seat and laying on my back (with plenty of foam rubber support) to access the gauges. You can also pull the radio speaker and get some of them. Nothing about this job is easy as the instrument panel was assembled on a bench, then installed in the car. Being a contortionist is also helpful!

6 hours ago, pantera928 said:

I have done it with the seat in and suffered for a couple of days afterwards. Advil days!🤣

As I was attempting to figure why my tach wasn’t working, contorted in some strange way under the dash, I decide it would wait and more research was needed.

@KodjoSo getting at the bulbs is possible then. How about removing the gauges with the dash in place? Say I wanted to clean the glass, your gauges look great!

I removed the gauges with the dash in place. Just try. Start with the rpm gauge. After that one is out, you’ve got a big hole in the dash that’s helpful getting the other gauges out. 

opening the gauges to clean the glass is work but possible. I’ve posted links to YouTube vids elsewhere on this forum. 

9 hours ago, pantera928 said:

What kodjo said is good advice only I removed the speedometer first to create my first big access hole

Yes, you're right. I did like you. My mistake. Speedo first!

Edited by Kodjo

22 hours ago, pantera928 said:

I just put in those LEDs from Superbright and so far, they aren't any brighter. Maybe worse. I do like the red color though

Did you use THIS bulb? don't use any other ones as they are not going to be bright enough. BA9s LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Tower - BA9s Bulb | Super Bright LEDs

22 hours ago, pantera928 said:

That would be nice. Thanks

I've bought these:

• Red for instruments: BA9S 4W 12V 8.5X28 RED 1232RK
  • White for indicators on instrument panel like indicators: BA9S 12V 4W 8.5X28 T4W 
  • White for indicators on instrument panel like indicators: BA9S 2W 12V 8.5X28
  • Interior lights: BA15D 10W 12V 

3 hours ago, Kodjo said:

I've bought these:

• Red for instruments: BA9S 4W 12V 8.5X28 RED 1232RK
  • White for indicators on instrument panel like indicators: BA9S 12V 4W 8.5X28 T4W 
  • White for indicators on instrument panel like indicators: BA9S 2W 12V 8.5X28
  • Interior lights: BA15D 10W 12V 

I thought you said that you used regular red bulbs. THese all look like LEDs. Am I missing something?

19 hours ago, pantera928 said:

I thought you said that you used regular red bulbs. THese all look like LEDs. Am I missing something?

All bulbs. Google for "BA9S 4W 12V 8.5X28 RED" and you'll find bulbs, no leds: "https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=BA9S+4W+12V+8.5X28+RED&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8"

Edited by Kodjo