Special paint

paul shuffleburg

22 hours ago, paul shuffleburg said:

I noticed that in 63 there was one Avanti painted SPECIAL. Does anyone know what it was painted?

I sure don't...but I hope someone out there has the answer!:o

I do remember a black & white factory photo of a '63 Avanti painted a dark color, with two white racing stripes painted over the trunk, roof, and nose of the car....It was destined for the 1963 Speedweeks Rally in Nassau, Bahamas....I believe a similarly painted Lark Wagonaire was also sent there by Studebaker.

Edited by mfg
Added Text

• 4 months later...

I thought it was the '1964' prototype car with the thicker seats (and Claret interior?), which was painted Avanti Maroon, and eventually assigned P6436 as a production paint code.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E

4 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I thought it was the '1964' prototype car with the thicker seats (and Claret interior?), which was painted Avanti Maroon, and eventually assigned P6436 as a production paint code.

Craig

Not to sidetrack, but a friend of mine, George Vassos, has a white '64 Avanti with the solid "claret/with woodgrain" interior...might be the nicest Stude Avanti combo there was!

Research by George Krem:

1963 Exterior Color: 1 Special is R2/4speed.

1963 Interior Color: 2 Specials are R2, one auto and one 4speed.

Might be that this Special Exterior color one had also special color interior.
+ there was also one R2/Auto with special interior color.

color-data.jpg

Edited by Leo B

I have 1963-64 Studebaker Avanti Colors Rinshed-Mason Automotive Colors Codes and Samples sheet.
Including also color P-6327 Seabeach Sand 1963 (Spring Color only) + P-6326 Seaspray Green 1963 (Spring only).
Could one of these be special? The are not irid.

Edited by Leo B