Worn Teeth On Studebaker Avanti Flywheel Gear?

mfg

This tech-tip is from the 12/91 Studebaker Bulletin......WORN TEETH ON YOUR STUDEBAKER AVANTI'S FLYWHEEL?  (either standard or auto)

1)Remove starter and dismantle

2)Remove Bendix assembly

3)Remove the flat snapring holding the starter gear onto the three pronged collar.....CAREFUL, it's spring loaded

4)Remove the round snapring, thick retaining washer, flat washer, and spring washer

5) Screw the three pronged collar off the ratchet....CAREFUL, it has a spring loaded stud inside

6) Grind or file the small lip off the bottom of the collar

7) Invert the collar, and screw it back onto the shaft with the ground off side UP. Be sure to thread the spring loaded stud back on the exact same groove

Reassemble Bendix....leaving flat washer out

9)Reassemble starter with a small washer on the armature shaft between the Bendix and the inner nose of the starter housing

THIS MODIFICATION WILL ALLOW THE BENDIX TO ENGAGE DEEPER INTO THE FLYWHEEL GEAR.

Edited by mfg

Hello Ed,   I just tried this fix because my flywheel has a well worn spot. On step #7 I left the washer in. I measured the travel on the bendix before and after and I gained a full 3/16 of an inch of travel. I think if you leave the washer out you may gain a little more. It seems to work very well and it will serve me well until I pull the tranny (automatic) to reseal it and replace the ring of teeth. Thanks for posting the service bulletin it was a big help.

Thanks again,  John C.

The flywheel ring gear on a V8 tends to come to a stop in one of four positions and most of the wear takes place there.  It was common practice to remove the ring gear, flip it over and reposition it 45-degrees to the original position; all new wearing surfaces.

jack vines

• 1 month later...