Another leak under the dash.

Jred

Just replaced the heater control valve in my 1970 Avant. Noticed a couple drops yesterday and thought it was residual left over from the valve replacement. 
those couple of drops were more this morning. Is this where the heater core is housed? 
Edit: Seems that the sight is having issues uploading photos from my phone and fro my home computer. Ive have tried resizing down to 500k as well.

Im seeing coolant coming out of the plastic box that is under the dash. Specifically where there seems to be a rubber divider of some sort.I'll upload picts when the site allows.

Edited by Jred

1 hour ago, pantera928 said:

Sounds like the heater core but I also experienced an issue today uploading photos

Any experience with switching out the heater core? Wondering how big of a task this would be.

I look on the ol google machine

Just want to mention that replacing a heater core on a '63-'85 Avanti really isn't that tough of a job...Just nuts and bolts (and hoses!), but every thing comes out from under dash at passenger side..... Then simply disassemble housing.....(good opportunity to clean housing out!).......Some newer cars are MUCH harder, with often the entire dashboard needing to be removed.:o

21 hours ago, mfg said:

Just want to mention that replacing a heater core on a '63-'85 Avanti really isn't that tough of a job...Just nuts and bolts (and hoses!), but every thing comes out from under dash at passenger side..... Then simply disassemble housing.....(good opportunity to clean housing out!).......Some newer cars are MUCH harder, with often the entire dashboard needing to be removed.:o

Good to know. Thanks

On 11/1/2021 at 2:23 PM, Jred said:

Pulled the heater core yesterday and brought to my trusted radiator shop. 
the leak had developed in the center of the core. Opted to recore the unit. 

If you don't mind my asking, about how much is your radiator shop charging for the recore?....Most radiator shops in my area have closed, and the few that are left charge BIG BUCKS!!:o

Edited by mfg

5 hours ago, mfg said:

If you don't mind my asking, about how much is your radiator shop charging for the recore?....Most radiator shops in my area have closed, and the few that are left charge BIG BUCKS!!:o

He said $250ish, two day turn around or so. He tried talking me out of it, saying he doesnt really make much profit after ordering the core. I left saying I would do some searching.

NOS that I found were $320 I think, and thats with out tax and shipping.

I have used this shop a few times and always happy with his work. He always has some nice older cars in there.

Picts of him in his old dune buggys and dragsters help with the confidence levels.ha