adding glass covers to a square headlight Avanti

pantera928

They all came with glass covers, but there was a time when you couldn't find those glass covers; today's replacement covers are aftermarket. So if yours doesn't have them, my guess is that the trim "rings" are the same ones used for glass covers, therefore you should only need the glass and the gaskets (unless the owner who made the change substituted shorter screws).

12 hours ago, WayneC said:

They all came with glass covers, but there was a time when you couldn't find those glass covers; today's replacement covers are aftermarket. So if yours doesn't have them, my guess is that the trim "rings" are the same ones used for glass covers, therefore you should only need the glass and the gaskets (unless the owner who made the change substituted shorter screws).

Rule #1 of discussing Avanti IIs:  Never say "never" and never say "all".   Some models came without glass covers.

24 minutes ago, Wasjunk said:

I have removed all of the square headlight parts and installed round on my project. If you are interested I will make you a deal on all removed parts. I will send pictures of all parts if interested. Dave

Just sent you a message

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, pantera928 said:

If you want to add the glass covers to a car that does not have them, what do you need other than the glass and the gasket? Are the trim rings different?

Thanks

Avanti ll's that did not come equipped with glass or plexi headlamp covers (on many years they were optional equipment) would also not be equipped with the rectangular diecast chrome outer frame that retained the covers.:o

So, to install headlamp covers on an Avanti not so equipped you would need 2 glass (or plexi) covers, 2 outer chrome or painted frames, 2 headlamp cover rubber gaskets , and (possibly) 8 longer retaining screws!.....The outer frames and headlamp covers on 'square light' Avantis are interchangeable left to right.

Edited by mfg

3 hours ago, mfg said:

Avanti ll's that did not come equipped with glass or plexi headlamp covers (on many years they were optional equipment) would also not be equipped with the rectangular diecast chrome outer frame that retained the covers.:o

So, to install headlamp covers on an Avanti not so equipped you would need 2 glass (or plexi) covers, 2 outer chrome or painted frames, 2 headlamp cover rubber gaskets , and (possibly) 8 longer retaining screws!.....The outer frames and headlamp covers on 'square light' Avantis are interchangeable left to right.

Thanks. Just got through installing the covers this evening

• 3 months later...

I went through Studebaker International some years back to get the chrome outer rings, plexiglass covers and gaskets for my '76.  Dave Kenny's company (Endurance Products, I think is the name) does make the glass round and square lenses. The plexi lenses have held up really well, not showing any scratches at all, but if I replace them, I think I'll go with the glass lenses.