Avanti mufflers. Glass packs or quiet tone

Leo B

Hi,

I red that originally Avanti was designed to have a sport car "noice". California didnt allowed to use that decibel level.
1. Do Glass Packs have "the original sound"?
2. Is there big difference between Glass Packs vrs Quiet Tone Mufflers sound?
3. Today its possible to buy stainless glass packs. I know that in motorcycles stainless mufflers gives more "metallic hard sound". I think Stailess Glass Pack too. Right?

development requires curiosity
Leo B

What to buy depends on the sound you want.  Muffler technology has improved immeasurably since the Avanti was designed.  You can get the sound you want without shattering windows when going down the street.  For performance mufflers consider either Magnaflow or Flowmasters.  Flowmasters have a loud, raspy sound that wakes up any neighborhood.  Magnaflows have a deeper rumble that opens up with rpm's and speed.  

For performance mufflers you might consider Walker performance mufflers.  They have a wide variety of types and sizes, both stainless steel and aluminized.  I personally don't like the "tinny" sound of Flowmasters.

The original Avanti glass packs were straight through, but the optional "quiet" mufflers were reverse flow.  After all, if they were straight through they wouldn't have been any quieter than the small, round glass packs.

The Studebaker V8 produces much more exhaust noise than, for example, a Chevy V8 (all else being equal).  And, the more power the engine produces the louder the exhaust.  An R2 will be louder than an R1, and an R3 louder still.  Unless you want to go deaf you don't want straight through mufflers on an R3.

The original rumble of an R2 Avanti is something to behold, especially at idle.  My brother and I both owned R2 Avantis in the 1960s-70s with the original glass packs.  But, the drone on the highway was too much to live with.

-Dwight