R2 Avanti Value

James In York

Hello, new to the Avanti forum.  I have been looking for an Avanti for about 2 years.  Found a 63 R2 for Sale at Carlisle yesterday.

Believe a 3 owner car.  Car spent most of it’s life in Lancaster PA now is in State College PA.  It’s got 55K miles on motor (never apart),

R2, Auto, PB, PS and has what appear to be original Halibrands.  Trying to figure what the car is worth does not appear to have ever

been in an accident one repaint in white but owner had pearl white applied instead of original white paint is extremely nice and the pearl

is almost not noticeable.  I am going to meet the owner along with previous owner later this week.  Any thoughts on value including the Halibrands and also opinion on pearl white instead of original white?  

I have always restored cars back to as they were when new including the paint so the pearl although really nice isn’t original but I dont know what that does to value of an Avanti.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Jim

I use the Hagerty valuation tool as a guide.  

Condition really matters. Driver quality cars are worth much less than show. Most owners believe their car is in better condition than it really is.

Assuming a good condition #3 driver, about $30,000 is the ball park.

For driver cars, the paint color probably does not detract much.

The wheels are another matter. Original Halibrands may not be in the best of condition. Magnesium does not hold up well. Repro aluminum ones cost around $350 each a few years ago. That was without the spinners.

I see lot of sales: "Driven only sundays and less than 100K miles." 55K miles 58 years car combo is very hard to belive.
Avanti shows only 5 mile numbers. I belive more that car has been driven 155K or 255K than 55K. Please check that carefully.  Also check famous hog troughs and rear cross member. They tell you a lot how much car has been driven and condition.
Value? https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1963-studebaker-avanti

Primarily check for rust on the torque boxes and frame.   Unless I have purchased the car new, I do not go by what the odometer says.  I believe that non-stock color/paint hurts the value by 10%-20%.  

Thanks All.  I also use Hagerty guide and agree probably $30K is everything under looks good.  I’ll get it on a lift and check all.  The Halibrands do appear original and are in better than decent shape.  I am not in a hurry so we’ll see where this leads to.  Really appreciate the advice.

ONE QUESTION is the authenticity guide and addendum that can be purchased from the site good/worth it?

Jim

1 hour ago, James In York said:

Thanks All.  I also use Hagerty guide and agree probably $30K is everything under looks good.  I’ll get it on a lift and check all.  The Halibrands do appear original and are in better than decent shape.  I am not in a hurry so we’ll see where this leads to.  Really appreciate the advice.

ONE QUESTION is the authenticity guide and addendum that can be purchased from the site good/worth it?

Jim

I recently bought both books and I think they are worth buying. The books show well the original parts and their locations even the routes of the wires and hoses.

About the value and Hagerty. Prices which Hagerty shows does not mean its real today. Some cars like Volvo P1800 the price has risen significantly in a few months.  To day its very valuable. Referring to Hagerty's estimate, the Avanti price has risen significantly in more than 10% in this year and Im sure will rise all the time.

47 minutes ago, Leo B said:

About the value and Hagerty. Prices which Hagerty shows does not mean its real today. Some cars like Volvo P1800 the price has risen significantly in a few months.  To day its very valuable. Referring to Hagerty's estimate, the Avanti price has risen significantly in more than 10% in this year and Im sure will rise all the time.

It is odd that you mention/reference the 1800.  I have a friend that has a 1972 1800 that she purchased new.

On 10/3/2021 at 11:34 PM, studegary said:

It is odd that you mention/reference the 1800.  I have a friend that has a 1972 1800 that she purchased new.

Both are design icons 👍

IMG_2496-2.jpg

Edited by Leo B