Mid 60s Avanti purchase

pantera928

I am considering purchasing a mid 60s Avanti with a 327 and automatic. Did all of these cars come with factory air? Is it any good?

Are their any Avanti II owners in the Atlanta Georgia area I can talk to?

THanks

I don't really know whether all 1960's Avanti II's came standard with A/C, but certainly most of them.  I have parted out two 1970 Avantis and both had factory A/C.

It is probably important to buy one with A/C, even if it doesn't work.  If it has A/C it can be fixed.  If it doesn't it can be added, although that would be more difficult and expensive.  A local SDC member had a '63 Avanti to which an aftermarket A/C system had been added, so it can be done.  If adding A/C (or repairing one) one might consider switching to a modern Sanden compressor.  Those are more efficient and effective, and more compact.  Brackets for mounting the Sanden compressor are manufactured (see ad in Turning Wheels, & maybe also Avanti Magazine). 

-Dwight

13 minutes ago, pantera928 said:

Thanks Dwight.

Just curious as to why you parted out two of them. Was it due to rust? Still trying to learn more about what to look for regarding rust. Not sure what a hog trough is actually.

Greg

A "hog trough" is a term commonly used for the sheet metal torque boxes that run down each side of the car, next to the frame, to add rigidity.  They often rust out, especially in the rust belt part of the country.  It costs several thousand dollars to have them properly replaced. If there is severe rust in the torque boxes, there is often rust in other places, like the a-pillars.

17 minutes ago, studegary said:

A "hog trough" is a term commonly used for the sheet metal torque boxes that run down each side of the car, next to the frame, to add rigidity.  They often rust out, especially in the rust belt part of the country.  It costs several thousand dollars to have them properly replaced. If there is severe rust in the torque boxes, there is often rust in other places, like the a-pillars.

Good to know and check. I am looking at a car that "looks" good but we all know about looks.

I parted out two 1970 Avantis because of two reasons: (1) I needed some parts from each, and (2) Economics.  By this I mean that I had three choices: (1) Sell the cars as is and lose money, (2) Fix them up, sell them, and lose a lot of money, or (3) Part them out and make money.

-Dwight

14 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

I parted out two 1970 Avantis because of two reasons: (1) I needed some parts from each, and (2) Economics.  By this I mean that I had three choices: (1) Sell the cars as is and lose money, (2) Fix them up, sell them, and lose a lot of money, or (3) Part them out and make money.

-Dwight

Dwight's comments say a lot about the Avanti market, particularly #2.   A very experienced Avanti owner/trader often said "There is noting as expensive as a cheap Avanti".  This is VERY accurate.  My advice to someone buying an Avanti (or any classic car) in today's market is to buy the best original or restored car that you can afford.  Don't buy a "fixer-upper" as you will most certainly end up upside down in it.  Today's costs for restoration including parts, chrome, and paint are incredibly high, not to mention the cost of labor if you can't do the work yourself.  Then there is the delay in being able to enjoy the car while it's in the shop.  Find a nice car that doesn't need major work, or one that someone else has restored (and is going to take the loss on).

When the Avanti Motor Corporation introduced the Avanti II in 1965 the cars were "loaded"...came with a/c and most accessories as standard which was the opposite of most car makers.  The MSRP reflected that.  Within a year or so that policy was changed to base level plus options which was more in line with industry standards and more importantly...what potential buyers were accustomed to.  That lowered the MSRP so it didn't scare off buyers.  

It's quite likely your Avanti came standard with a/c.  It's a good system...for the 1960s.  If in fine order it will freeze you out of the car.  If it requires repair there are better options today.

1 hour ago, Gunslinger said:

When the Avanti Motor Corporation introduced the Avanti II in 1965 the cars were "loaded"...came with a/c and most accessories as standard which was the opposite of most car makers.  The MSRP reflected that.  Within a year or so that policy was changed to base level plus options which was more in line with industry standards and more importantly...what potential buyers were accustomed to.  That lowered the MSRP so it didn't scare off buyers.  

It's quite likely your Avanti came standard with a/c.  It's a good system...for the 1960s.  If in fine order it will freeze you out of the car.  If it requires repair there are better options today.

Thank you. I am thinking the compressor was removed