Heads 535976 for R2?

Leo B

Hi,
I have in my R2: 535976 Heads (from -57-58 Hawk). Thats what here is said https://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/Heads/Headcasting.html
I have understood that they work with R2. Do they?

Some discussion about this here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/68896-special-r2-heads-on-ebay

Before I open the engine better to know are there special details to check and be sure that they work with R2 Supercharger.
My block number is RS2482 and should be correct. Intake Manifold 12 4 S.

Thanks to Sudebaker Avanti Authenticy Manual by Alan Basile. Everybody should bought this two manuals before by any Avantis. 👍 (I didnt do that)

IMG_2633 2.JPG

Edited by Leo B
Photo added

If these are '57-'58 Studebaker Golden Hawk heads, they should be OK, as Golden Hawk's of that vintage had less compression than the other period Stude V8's....Since pistons were all the same, (dished), the compression change had to be in the heads....Suggest you use thick (composite) head gaskets with this setup.

In 1957, all 289CI Studebaker V8s used the 'dished' pistons....and 'normal' 289s were advertised to have an 8.3-1 compression ratio......However, the supercharged Golden Hawks advertised compression ratio was 7.5-1...I believe (not 100% sure) that all the '57 289's used the thicker composite head gaskets from the factory, hence the compression change would have to be in the combustion chamber.:o

Many thanks for the answers. This is a great relief. I will sleep well 😃👍
I will return to the matter once I have removed the heads, measured the combustion chamber + I can see which pistons I have.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread. I also have the 976 heads on my R2. However, I have flat top pistons and this engine has composite gaskets. I do not know who built it.

What am I to suppose my compression ratio is?  Before I redo these heads, I am actively searching for the correct 582 heads which I read to be 67 ccs. Sounds like at least a step in the right direction?  If my bores & pistons check out OK, I could easily trim a few ccs out of the correct heads in the course of chamber work, this should put me in much better shape than I am now?

What do the experts think?

11 hours ago, billsr2 said:

Bumping this thread. I also have the 976 heads on my R2. However, I have flat top pistons and this engine has composite gaskets. I do not know who built it.

What am I to suppose my compression ratio is?  Before I redo these heads, I am actively searching for the correct 582 heads which I read to be 67 ccs. Sounds like at least a step in the right direction?  If my bores & pistons check out OK, I could easily trim a few ccs out of the correct heads in the course of chamber work, this should put me in much better shape than I am now?

What do the experts think?

Hi Billsr2. I will check 976 Head CR with flat top piston and with dished piston. Please wait.

2 hours ago, Leo B said:

I add: Regarding the discussion I think that the best compression will be 7.5 - 8.5 with modern fuels. Thats what I will have.
How about having shallow / half dished pistons? With half or deep dished pistons the heat is better distributed to the head and to the piston. Flat top piston causes more heat to the head. This might be one reason why many R2 heads where broken.🤔 If somebody has better knowledge I will be glad to read and learn.

Edited by Leo B
Edited text