Front bottom spoiler

Leo B

28 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

Looks custom fabricated to me.  It also looks ineffective.  It doesn't look able to either direct air up into the radiator opening or to redirect air from the underbody.

Thank you Gunslinger.
Im newbie with Avanti. Lot of questions.😃

• 2 months later...
On 9/24/2021 at 11:31 AM, Avanti83 said:

If you want a spoiler that works - https://studebaker-info.org/Tech/Cooling/SOBradiator/sdc42115sobrad.html A fair number have done this mod.

I think people are going to have to start looking for an alternative.  I did this to my car, but let me tell you, I had no end of difficulty tracking down one of those spoilers.  Now that the Saturn division of GM is defunct, almost every place where you could obtain one of those no longer stocks them.

• 2 weeks later...

One huge problem in cooling problem is the open bottom of the fan shroud.  This creates a leak of fan vacuum draw from the radiator.   This winter I plan to make a mold to create continuance of the shroud radius around the bottom out of fiberglass to maintain the fan vacuum draw through the radiator.  I intend to make it a simple bolt on piece.  This should aid cooling during stop and go traffic and parades etc.  As it is currently a significant air draw leak.  I am doing this even though mine does not get hot.  I just want as much draw as I can pull through the radiator so that the ac condenser in front of it is more efficient during stop & go.  

6 hours ago, DaytonaR2 said:

One huge problem in cooling problem is the open bottom of the fan shroud.  This creates a leak of fan vacuum draw from the radiator.   This winter I plan to make a mold to create continuance of the shroud radius around the bottom out of fiberglass to maintain the fan vacuum draw through the radiator.  I intend to make it a simple bolt on piece.  This should aid cooling during stop and go traffic and parades etc.  As it is currently a significant air draw leak.  I am doing this even though mine does not get hot.  I just want as much draw as I can pull through the radiator so that the ac condenser in front of it is more efficient during stop & go.  

Closing in the fan is a good idea...and making the piece a 'bolt on' also makes good sense.

Some Studebaker Avantis have a fan shroud that is open at the bottom, other shrouds enclose the fan 360'....The shroud on my own '63 Avanti completely encloses the fan, however, it's a repo I purchased from Expressley Avanti several years ago.

Does anyone know what's factory and what isn't on this open/closed Avanti fan shroud question?:huh:

I've read that the reason Studebaker went with the "horse collar" (open bottom) fan shroud was due to it's easier installation and less likelihood of the fan striking if if not installed correctly.  I'm guess there may have been a price difference as well.  I've not heard of any engineering or cooling efficiency reason.

21 hours ago, DaytonaR2 said:

Another, perhaps simpler solution is probably the one I used -- buy the sold shroud that is available, then get yourself a fiberglass repair kit and do the following: after marking a line on your shroud where you will cut it in half on either side, apply a good coating of car wax to the inside of the shroud where that line is, extending above and below.  Next, use your fiberglass repair kit to create a pair of tabs that will extend above and below the line where you will make your cut.  Build up a couple of layers until the tabs are thick enough, and let them dry; after they are dry, you can pop them right off thanks to the wax you put on the inside of the shroud.  Once they are off, sand the edges neat, and clean the wax coating off the inside of the shroud.  Cut the shroud in half where you marked your lines, then go back and use the resin in your fiberglass repair kit to permanently bond the tabs to the lower half.  After that's dry, clamp the two halves back together, and drill a couple of holes on each side of the upper half of the shroud (and the tabs on the inside where they overlap).  Now you have a two-piece shroud that does not have that open area like the horseshoe shrouds do, and which you can take off and reinstall easily without having to remove your fan.

13 hours ago, Leo B said:

Hi, I think that Open Shroud is not original one. Like SI wrote in Catalogue: 1560614X1 1963-64 Avanti with open bottom for easier removal. 1560614 is like original.

That sounds reasonable!