Correct Surge Tank? Or alternative solution?

Leo B

Hi,
Please help. I have this Surge Tank in my Avanti R2 -63. To me seems to be wrong one. Touching also hood/bonnet and body is not even low.
I dont find original one in good shape. Is the 1963-1969 Surge Tank Eliminator Kit SI offers, correct and good choice? (untill I find good original one)

IMG_2608.JPG

Näyttökuva 2021-9-22 kello 10.43.11.png

Edited by Leo B
Edited text

• Leo B changed the title to Correct Surge Tank? Or alternative solution?

I do not know why it is referred to as a "surge tank".  It is an expansion tank.  

I suggest repairing what you have. 

EDIT:  That is not a stock hood liner on your Avanti.

Edited by studegary

Hi,
I looked the tank closely and you are Dwight right. Seems that rebuilt wrongly. In bad condition also as you see from photo. Better to get a good one which might be hard to find. If you find or know where to get, I will be happy.

About Hood Liner:
Yes its wrong and bad looking. Should be removed.

About Tank:

In my opinion, that tank is just a "filling tank" with a visible surface level and a pressure regulating radiator cap. As the pressure increases then the radiator (tank) releases pressure out of the hose of the cap root. Radiator (the tank) is not sealed all the time.

The tank should be filled with coolant 1-1 / 2" below the top like basic radiator. (check manual)

Edited by Leo B

25 minutes ago, arkus said:

i have a restored tank, not sure how i would ship it to finland.

Do you have a price? Photo? Send PM if you want.

Edited by Leo B

Or, maybe your current expansion tank can be repaired, if it is basically sound (just dented, leaking, and backwards).  I once repaired a friend's tank.  I am not a body man, but had done some leading on a '56 Continental Mark II, so I had a little skill in leading/soldering.  It would require a propane torch, small wire brush, and acid-core solder.  There are probably instructions online (especially youtube) for the details. While it is apart most of the dents can be hammered out with a small hammer and a dolly.  When hammering dents out don't overdo it, because that can stretch the metal.

-Dwight

3 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Or, maybe your current expansion tank can be repaired, if it is basically sound (just dented, leaking, and backwards).  I once repaired a friend's tank.  I am not a body man, but had done some leading on a '56 Continental Mark II, so I had a little skill in leading/soldering.  It would require a propane torch, small wire brush, and acid-core solder.  There are probably instructions online (especially youtube) for the details. While it is apart most of the dents can be hammered out with a small hammer and a dolly.  When hammering dents out don't overdo it, because that can stretch the metal.

-Dwight

Thanks.
I will show my Tank to professional "body man" and ask is this possible to do with desent price. Otherwise trying to find beauty one or buy "Eliminator".

This is too much of a tank that doesn't look repaired.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313385657973?hash=item48f73da675:g:338AAOSwAwFewiSe

Edited by Leo B