'63 R1 A/T Stuck in Park

heyrob

Rob,  just do what 64StudeAvanti said, run the puller tight by hand and then use the hammer to pound on the ears to tighten further. The, hit the end of the puller, followed by more hits on the handle, and it will eventually pop off.  Sometimes it takes multiple blows with the hammer.  DO NOT use an air impact gun.

When the hub/drum assembly comes off the axle shaft, the key will either come out in the groove of the hub, or will stay in the groove of the axle shaft.  Just make sure you note it's position and install it the same way, like the manual says.

When you reinstall the hub and drum assembly, slide it on the axle shaft with the key in the groove, then put the nut on and tighten the nut to, I believe 170 lb.ft., then align the hole for the cotter pin, if needed just a bit tighter.  Torque of the axle nut seats the hub on the axle. No need to  press it on. That is what the axle nut does as you tighten it to 170 lb.ft.

Thanks, Lew, I appreciate the sanity-check.  My life insurance provider might owe you a commission by the time this project is wrapped-up 🤣

I'll post a progress update this weekend (assuming the darn puller gets here in time).

10 hours ago, heyrob said:

Thanks, Lew, I appreciate the sanity-check.  My life insurance provider might owe you a commission by the time this project is wrapped-up 🤣

I'll post a progress update this weekend (assuming the darn puller gets here in time).

I haven't seen it mentioned above but DO NOT lube the tapered section. It's meant to be reassembled dry.