ID of 305 engine in 83

RTeker

Casting number on engine block is 14010201 preceded by a casting number GM5.0LG.  Cyl heads are 14014416.  The exhaust manifolds are identical with casting 336711 RH1 & RH2. There was no exhaust manifold gasket when removed.  82 Camaro manual says to install gasket if required.  Is this a unique or special engine?

Thanks for any assistance

Ron

1983 Avanti

1963 GT Hawk

I've never seen an SBC that didn't use an exhaust gasket. Ford tried that on some sixes in the 80's IIRC with not good results. Use a head gasket.

You should find a boss on the passengers side close to the front of the engine with numbers stamped into it. Those are much more important to determining engine ID. 

Nasty Z28 has a great site for decoding SBC numbers. https://nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.html

The 83 305 is a pretty generic engine used it most Chevy models in those years. Low HP but reasonably dependable. GM needed another decade to get the pollution controls in good nick.

Edited by Avanti83

On 8/19/2021 at 11:11 PM, RTeker said:

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.  I went to the link you supplied and could verify my engine code "V05183MT" no other numbers stamped on the block.

If I am reading your post correctly, it sounds like you made out.  The MT prefix indicates a 1967, 295-hp, 350.  Unless you're concerned about originality, I'd call that a win.

Not to hijack your thread, but I find it interesting that most (all?) Avantis I have seen with Chevy engines seem to have engine numbers that indicate that they were intended to installed in a Chevy, as opposed to sale to an outside company.  My 1974 has a Chevy 400 that has a CSX suffix, which indicates it was supposed to be installed in a Malibu with automatic (my Avanti has standard shift). By contrast, the 283 V8s used by Studebaker in 1965-66 had engine numbers that clearly indicated that they were intended for outside sale.  

As said above, the casting number is 80-84 origin. The stamping shows V-flint, mi assembly in month- 05 on day- 18. The 3MT is tough to find.

For comparison my 83 is V10293MC. again Flint assembled on 10/29. Not sure of year. 3MC again unknown but would generally pertain to what it was destined for when installed in a vehicle.

Generally a decent engine to drive around with or providing boat anchorage. These 305's were never known as performance engines as it costs the same to rebuild a 350 as a 305 so most just met the demise when they needed rebuilding.

Thanks for the correction, Bob.  I looked in vain for 3MT and fixated on the MT only.  Chevy parts books used to include a complete listing of those engine codes, but seem to have stopped around 1981.  The Camaro Z-28 site does a good job, but it warns that it is not complete.