Instrument Illumination, crankshaft seals

John C

Hello everyone,

The instrument lighting on my 63 has always left a lot to be desired. At night I can barely read any gauges with the stock bulbs. I have experimented with red and white LED bulbs and don't feel they made a marked improvement. I wondered if anyone had tried repainting the reflective coating on the inside of the gauges,what the result was, and where I could find a supplier for that type of paint?

My next question concerns the front and rear crankshaft seals. What is the best type to use and where are they available?

I'm sure some of you have dealt with these items before and just what you had good luck with.

Thanks for the input,   John C.

I've cleaned the glass last week. Great improvement! I used red bulbs only and removed the red screen in the clock. No new paint except on the needles. Did clean up a lot and enhance the visibility.

IMG_1254.JPEG

Note the difference between speed and rpm meter and the surrounding meters.

IMG_1262.jpg

Before and after cleaning:

IMG_1294.jpg

Edited by Kodjo

2 hours ago, tanda62 said:

I am curious how you got the trim rings off to paint the needles.  I need to clean mine up as well.  Thanks, Tom

Following this.  my gauges seem to have had some moisture buildup inside so i need to get them open safely. 

Search youtube how to open a speedometer. I did it this way and it worked well. Cleaned the dail with a brush and mild sope. Then, packed the meter in paper except the needle. Used a spray can to paint the needle. Re-attached the glass after cleaning and tada, ready.

Edited by Kodjo

Thanks Kodjo for the cleaning information I can see it makes a big difference. I plan on taking the gauges apart so this will help. I have already drilled two holes (gauge diameter) in apiece of 3/4inch oak to set on my bench and help hold the gauges while you work the rings off. I'll give your method a try and see what the result is. Wish me luck.                                                                                           

Thanks, John C.

• 3 months later...

I wanted to change to LED wherever possible.  It found brighter LED lights that still fit the blub space in the gauges.  Unlike the first LEDs I tried, these brighter ones made a noticeable improvement for night driving.  I can now no longer tell the Trooper that I could not read the speedometer when doing 100.

Avanti at PeeknPeak.jpg