John Cafaro

steve remick

Is John Cafaro still living? If not when did he die?

There is a John J. Cafaro sill listed in Chevy Chase, MD. JJ owned a residence there back in the years he owned Avanti so I assume this is the same place. Whether JJ himself still lives there or possibly a son or simply still the listed owner of the property I can't say. Chevy Chase is a very exclusive area in the DC suburbs within Montgomery County, MD populated by many powerful movers and shakers of the corporate world, politics and media. Within Chevy Chase is an even more exclusive area...Chevy Chase Village...less than 300 acres and has its own very well supported police department and other services dedicated to maintaining the safety and lifestyles to which the residents are accustomed and can afford. JJ's address is within the borders of Chevy Chase Village.

How many John Cafaros are there? This one worked off and on at Corvette (production and Corvette Racing) from the '80s and into the '00s; same guy?

http://www.corvettemuseum.org/library-archives/hof/cafaro.shtml
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/history/john_cafaro.html

There is a John J. Cafaro sill listed in Chevy Chase, MD. JJ owned a residence there back in the years he owned Avanti so I assume this is the same place. Whether JJ himself still lives there or possibly a son or simply still the listed owner of the property I can't say. Chevy Chase is a very exclusive area in the DC suburbs within Montgomery County, MD populated by many powerful movers and shakers of the corporate world, politics and media. Within Chevy Chase is an even more exclusive area...Chevy Chase Village...less than 300 acres and has its own very well supported police department and other services dedicated to maintaining the safety and lifestyles to which the residents are accustomed and can afford. JJ's address is within the borders of Chevy Chase Village.

Not to go off topic....but is a town REALLY named after the comedian Chevy Chase?

Yes, the Cafaros still own the property, though I also don't know if he still lives there. About 20 years ago, I cut something about the property from the newspaper and submitted it to Avanti magazine. At the time, there was always a late-model Avanti parked in front of the garage. The property itself is more of a compound, with several buildings and a surrounding wrought iron fence. It's on the NE corner of Chevy Chase Circle, with straddles the DC-Maryland state line at Connecticut Avenue.

To add to Gunslinger's geography facts: Both Chevy Chase and Connecticut Avenue itself were developed on about 1700 acres in both DC and Maryland about 110 years ago by the Chevy Chase Land Company, which is still in business. It was/is a very nice area, and nearly all of the houses built by them survive. I believe Cornelius Chase was probably named Chevy after an old English ballad "The Ballad of Chevy Chase".

Edited by Skip Lackie