LED Parking Light bulb problem.

Stuart Boblett

I have an 82 Avanti and upon swapping the existing tail / parking light 1057 bulb with a compatible LED bulb the parking lights work with the headlights on and the turn signals work but not in just the parking light mode. The front and side parking lights work normally.  When using the incandescent 1157 bulb the parking lights work normally in the parking light mode. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks.

“And the turn signals work but not in just the parking light mode”

Are the turn signals, parking lights or both not working in parking light mode?

Jim Wood

Everything else works in the Parking Light Mode except the light with the LED bulb. With headlights on this parking light does work along with everything else. With 1157 bulb back in it works normally. Hope that answers your question. Thanks.

Did you replace All of the (front & rear) park/tail/turn/brake (2 front - 2 rear) bulbs with LED or just one of the rear (left or right) bulbs with LED?

Did you convert the turn signals to prevent hyperflashing with load resistors or LED capable flasher?

1.  With all lights Off - does the brake light work?

2.  With headlights On - does the brake light work?  Do you notice any difference in brightness between brake or turn signal and tail light function?

7 hours ago, Stuart Boblett said:

I have an 82 Avanti and upon swapping the existing tail / parking light 1057 bulb

You stated bulb as in single. You need to switch out all of the bulbs in the stop/turn and park circuit to LED as well as the signal flasher to a LED compatible flasher. 

On 7/17/2021 at 12:49 PM, Stuart Boblett said:

Everything else works in the Parking Light Mode except the light with the LED bulb. With headlights on this parking light does work along with everything else. With 1157 bulb back in it works normally. Hope that answers your question. Thanks.

Sounds like the LED bulb is bad. New does not mean good.

Good luck all,

Jim Wood

Edited by IndyJimW

18 hours ago, 1inxs said:

You stated bulb as in single. You need to switch out all of the bulbs in the stop/turn and park circuit to LED as well as the signal flasher to a LED compatible flasher. 

No, a single bulb should not cause a problem. I ran rear LED turn signal bulbs for quite a while with normal 1157 front turn signal bulbs, that was enough current to operate the flasher. You can run LED and regular bulbs in the parking light circuit it doesn't care.  The only time you need to replace the flasher is if the system isn't drawing enough circuit from the LED lights to operate the flasher.

Good luck all,

Jim Wood

6 hours ago, IndyJimW said:

No, a single bulb should not cause a problem. I ran rear LED turn signal bulbs for quite a while with normal 1157 front turn signal bulbs, that was enough current to operate the flasher. You can run LED and regular bulbs in the parking light circuit it doesn't care.  The only time you need to replace the flasher is if the system isn't drawing enough circuit from the LED lights to operate the flasher.

Good luck all,

Jim Wood

Thank you Jim, that was my thought but I still cannot figure out why I get these results. One of the great mysteries of Avanti I guess. If I come up with an answer I will let everyone know and I appreciate everyone's assistance.

Some LED bulbs are directional, the power and ground must be connected properly, you can get them in backwards and they won't work.

But the 1157 base shouldn't allow that, although I have seen people force them in backwards.

Good luck all,

Jim Wood