Springs

tanda62

As part of my total restoration I will be getting new springs front and rear. The car build sheet shows heavy duty springs were put on originally. My question is what are the differences in ride between heavy duty and standard? 

I will be rebuilding the front and rear ends, putting new shocks (recommendations for these will also be appreciated) and am running a stock automatic transmission drivetrain. 

Thanks, Tom

Body off frame 03.gif

Edited by tanda62

The spring shop should be able to consult you on spring tension based on the vehicle weight and what ride you would like to get. The shocks can be purchased through many of the Studebaker vendors. The project is looking good. Have fun!

For the rear, I ordered them from Eaton.  (Eaton Detroit Springs)  I called and was told that they make new springs from factory spec. sheets.  Two prices were posted, essentially wholesale and retail.  I told the guy he could ship them to a friend's body shop for the wholesale price; he said he'd send them to my door for the wholesale price.  He then asked if I wanted the heavy duty version for no extra money.  I said OK.  In hindsight, I'd probably not go with the heavy duty as it set the backend up pretty high.  I then placed 1 1/2" lowering blocks under the axle which brought it down to an even (front to back) height. 

• 3 weeks later...

Pepper Knight (if I am remembering correctly) had “variable rate” front springs made which have varied coil spacing narrowed at the top. Since I had to get rid of a set of heated and collapsed springs on R-1454, I looked at HD, NOS and Pepper’s springs. Went with Pepper’s and a 7/8” sway bar. Do not regret it in the slightest. Ride and control are both excellent and stance is good, with very slight over-steer.

In the rear, lowering blocks were removed and a local shop rebuilt and re-arched the springs to offset for the eliminated blocks, and the u-bolts and spacers were replaced.  The rear sway bar was upsized as well, the traction rod bushings replaced with urethane, springs with new standard bushings. Result: sits level, stance is good, and rear behaves very well, no hop, no skitter, solid ride without jarring. 

There are many approaches to suspension tuning; wishing you results you are pleased with.

Thanks Ntenna. I found the Moog springs from Avanti.biz, Bob is a good guy to deal with. Also getting new regular rear springs from Eaton. My car came with a bent five leaf on the driver side and a six leaf on the passenger, who knows why someone did that. Also getting larger front and rear sway bars and all new bushings front and rear. For shocks from what I had read the Koni shocks seem like the way to go. When all is said and done this car will have all new components for it's daily drives to the golf course! 😁