Best engine/trans manual for 81 with 305?

JavierB

Hey folks.

wondering if any of you with 81 era 305 engines have a recommendation on a shop manual that most closely matches whats going on in the Avanti?  Would something for the 81 Camero be close?  Any advice on your favorite shop book appreciated.   Is this one from Chevy below decent? Thanks!

1981-chevrolet-car-shop-manual-17.jpg

Any Chevrolet shop manual of that year should be OK. Later model 305's used different heads.

Chevrolet used several service manuals for each car. The one above may be for the body etc. and not the engine. Make sure you get the one that covers engine mechanical.

Good luck all,

Jim Wood

Could not see the ad (dead link) for the 81 shop manual that you posted.  But the one you want is almost certainly called "1981 Passenger Car Service Manual".  The one that won't do you any good will be called Fisher body service manual.  I have a 1980 Chevy manual you can have for $20 plus postage.  It's even possible that your engine is really a 1980 model.  You can ID your Chevy small block engine here:

https://nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.html

• 2 weeks later...

RQB3263/305 .... SORRY it took so long..... this manual has served me well for more decades than I care to admit.... BILL... See you in InIMG_1873.jpg.f0fcb23cf4e9f28a35d15f247890bc1a.jpgdy !!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all.  Sorry for the delay, I've had some account log in issues.

Yes, my 81 is definitely an 81 engine.  Currently rebuilding the quadrajet to at least have the poor thing move around without stalling.  🙂