Borg warner 3spd powershift... 4 speed conversion or gear vendor?

drat

I switched out a THM 400 on my 76 for a rebuilt 200R4. Everything, linkage, trans mount, trans, and torque convertor installed was slightly under 2 K. I had looked at gear vendors and the unit was 3 years ago $2500 without installation and shortening the driveshaft. Comparing the gear vendors which I believe gives you two speeds with the rear end would with a 3 speed turbohydramatic gives you 6 gears and a 4 speed AOD would give you 8 gears.

A red 89 Avanti convertible was at Dover last summer for one of the days had the gear vendor set up behind a 700R4. In front of the trans was a Paxton supercharged 350. I'll bet that combo could really boogie down the road!

That makes me think a gear vendor is better for me. Ive priced out the tranny swap with new, rebuilt and throwing the dice (buying used and not rebuilding a tranny )and its closer to 3500 for a 4 speed 700r conversion. The gear vendor is slightly less and both need the drive line shortened.

Im thinking a six speed sounds pretty awesome right now and will save a little.

Im thinking a six speed sounds pretty awesome right now and will save a little.

We were talking automatics, are we still on that course or switching to T56 style manuals? If so, I have one in my 74, T56 that is.

Will a Gear Vendors unit fit behind your transmission? I looked at doing this years ago and to me it looked like the GV unit would not fit between the transmission and the X-member of the frame. I decided to swap to a beef-up TH200-4R transmission and have been very happy with the result.

Agree, an overdrive Powershift would be a good combination.

Gear Vendors overdrive unit would be a very tight fit in the Avanti X-frame. The standard length transmissions just barely squeeze in.

The other question is do they make an adapter for the B-W auto? Don't find anything on their site and all I've ever seen were for the later GM, Ford and Mopar.

jack vines

I remember an article which I read years ago where a new (at the time) overdrive unit was bolted up to a Borg Warner "8" 3 spd auto trans. (Ford, Studebaker, Avanti, AMC, etc) I think it was called a 'Hone' overdrive, and it did add considerable length to the transmission assy.

I talked to some tranny guys they seem to think it would fit at the dif. Now... do they have ine available... thats anther question.

restoration_and_classic.jpg

Yes, it's been done often. It's just time and money. If you came to me, I'd say, "Bring $4,000."

jack vines