Does anyone know a Michael Thompson from California?

StudebakerBob

Hello all. I've grown up around and have owned many Studebakers, but this past weekend, I finally had the opportunity to buy my first Avanti.  A 64 R1 car.

The car has been sitting since 2007 and the previous owner has passed, but I'd like to find out more history of the car.

The car has had a lot of unique work done to it - wheel flairs were added, the hood had a cowl induction added (and the offset bulge removed).

Anyway, I was researching and found Michael Thompson's name through the Avanti registry as the 2001 owner and was hoping that I could get some more history on the car.  

I know that the car was sold in and spent it's life in California until 2007 where it sat in storage until this past weekend.  The previous owner bought it from a dealership in California and had it shipped to the east coast.

If anyone knows Michael, or the history of the car and the work done, I'd really appreciate it if you'd help me out.

Thanks again!

2007 eBay Listing from Bob Johnson's Page

Edited by StudebakerBob

Welcome to the forum.  It looks like a nice and interesting Avanti.  It has what I consider to be the better seats, A/C, AT, PW.  I am sorry, but I can not help you with history of the car.  

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Every now and then I like to do a google search for my baby just to see where she is and how she's doing... I bought the car in 96 or 97 and I sold it to Michael Thompson around early 2001. Those modifications you mentioned were all done by the previous owner's brother who had passed. He would drive all over to Studebaker meets and it won a few awards, in the the non stock category of course!  I gave Michael Thompson all the documentation, a stack of turning wheeIs magazines, pictures of the engine restoration the previous owner's brother had done, I hope that all made it into your hands. That's a shame it sat for so long I think it went to Pennsylvania after an ebay sale, I had hoped someone was enjoying it on a regular basis as much as I did! It was my daily driver. If you have any questions about it feel free to contact me

Peter Horn

• 1 year later...