Omitted Avanti!

mfg

Although the body of the famous #9 Bonnevile Avanti was basically factory stock, what item (s) were left off of the rear of that Avanti during the 1963 speed runs?

I agree, if you zoom in and stop the videos, the lenses are absent on #9 but the bezels are there. It seems we need an expert like Richard Bennett or John Hora to chime in here. This must have been to relieve pressure on the back glass. Due Cento is interesting in this respect as some pictures show no bezels nor lenses, and others show bezels and what looks like a dark blanked out lens. Seems there have been some opinions posted somewhere about why those pictures look to have dark lenses.

• 6 months later...

The Due Cento had red lens in the backup light position which operated as the taillight, stop light and turn signal since the taillights were dummy lights made of aluminum and painted red to simulate taillights as it was the prototype.

The car was run with and without the lens in place. Earlier runs in and later runs out. The purpose was to relieve pressure. There are also larger holes cut into the inside of the trunk lid to allow more air to pass through on my car.

Again.......That's extremely interesting!....I was able to look over 63R-1025 a few months ago.....another Avanti that the Granatelli's 'worked over'........All these Granatelli Avantis are MOST interesting!!

How is air supposed to pass through the open backup light holes? was the inner structure of the trunk cut away? Stock it wont pass much air at all as the only opening would be the small holes for the bulbs, and the "Studebaker" emblem retainer access holes.

How is air supposed to pass through the open backup light holes? was the inner structure of the trunk cut away? Stock it wont pass much air at all as the only opening would be the small holes for the bulbs, and the "Studebaker" emblem retainer access holes.

I believe that r5duecento explains that in his post brad....("larger holes cut into the inside of the trunk lid....")

Watch about 8 seconds of this video, from this point forward:
https://youtu.be/rAYrKW1vxjc?t=1m17s

-Front window rolled down

-Trunk access panel removed

-Reverse light pieces removed

It looks like a pressure relieving solution if I've ever seen one.

• 4 months later...

move that tape to 5:30 and take a look at the back of the red Avanti, looks like a big hole under the bumper where the license plate would go extending into the trunk where it looks like the spare tire well has been opened up.

I'm noticing something else on the red car, it's got a protrusion on the lower half of its rear valance. Currently it very much resembles a diffuser; if it were mounted lower and was equipped with strakes I'd say it definitely was a diffuser. I also see the protrusion stops short of the rear track width, as in for pressure alleviation behind the rear wheels.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/downforce-sorcery/

I reflect upon the aerodynamics thread, and maintain what I wrote. There are many styling elements learned in recent times which could be amended to cars without them. Bonneville racers would definitely benefit from an air extracting hood design and A-pillar air guides (both cues borrowed from Cobra Daytona Coupe). At that point, what's stopping them? The rule book for their respective classes.

• 2 weeks later...

The Due Cento had red lens in the backup light position which operated as the taillight, stop light and turn signal since the taillights were dummy lights made of aluminum and painted red to simulate taillights as it was the prototype.

The car was run with and without the lens in place. Earlier runs in and later runs out. The purpose was to relieve pressure. There are also larger holes cut into the inside of the trunk lid to allow more air to pass through on my car.

Bump!

Also, weren't the parking light holes in the front fender used as an air pass thru for the supercharger oil coolers?