Electrical fire

dualquadpete

Hi, new to here, RBQ1853 went up in smoke in the garage on Jan 20th. of this yr. Luckily I was in the shop when the Alternator shorted out internally & got the batt. disconnected but the wiring harness took a BIG hit. Insurance co. was called & Adjuster came to assess the damage!!! 1st. comment was "maybe I should have let it "burn MORE" as NO FLAME NO CLAIM!!!! Long story short, had it towed to Collector car shop & they fought the Insurance Co. by getting a 3rd. party adjuster in & finally they 'coughed up on claim" Major re-wire on engine & under dash wiring, but hoping to get the car back sometime this week [shooting for may15th] Very disappointed in my "collector car" Insurance Broker, + the Insurance Co. & the subletted Adjuster Co. here in Ontario Canada, as they just brushed me off & seemed to not care at all just "saved a claim" !!!!

Sorry to hear this. In all my years of insuring specialty cars I have only filed one claim

and the insurer stepped right up and took care of the repairs, no undue questions asked.

Thanks, this was my 1st claim EVER since the 1970's, never had a problem, but never claimed either, on the 6 or 7 vehicles I've had insured with them, This Canadian Co, was bought out by Major US Insurer, & think the problem is the Co. up here that underwrites the policy!!!! Going to ph. US head office once everything is settled & let them know what the hell's going on up here. Tried to post a picture but every time it says too big??? Have no idea how to rectify this??? Pete

The picture problem is systemic. I have reduced my pictures to the smallest size possible and the system here still tells

me they are too large to download.

Others manage but I have no clue how.

Good luck with the insurance issue.

I had a harness short some years back while on the road. I pulled off the freeway immediately, parked, and disconnected the battery as quickly as I could (turning off the ignition key did nothing). Several of my plastic engine harness tie-downs had deteriorated, broken, and allowed the harness to move forward.
The main engine harness shorted where it passes behind the right hood hold-down lock, apparently from abrading against the hood lock housing until wires were bared and shorted to ground. Luckily I disconnected the battery before it fried anything beyond the firewall into the under-dash area. I was able to make repairs myself, but I now have a lot of splices in the wiring very near to where the harness exits from the firewall.

I subsequently put a "green knob" switch on the negative battery cable (I think that's sufficient, but a cutoff switch on the positive terminal might be an even better precaution).

So, warning to Avanti owners: check to see that your engine wiring harness is well-secured in areas where it passes near metal.

I got the car back Friday, have a few things not working,ie. 4 ways, trunk light & after mkt. radio, other than that everything is working,!!!! Will get into those after car show today!!! felt great driving it home after a 4 1/2 months. Will be calling the Insurance Co. head office in Mich. on Monday to relate to the "crap" I had to go through to get this fixed!!! & the poor attitude up here on Broker, Insurance Co. & sublet Adjuster Pete

Glad it's back on the road and calling them is the appropriate response but I'll bet they'll just apologize to beat heck and change nothing. I would find a company with a better rep and just move on. I gave up thinking they care years ago. It's now just a business decision on my/their part.

BTW, I had the same issue with pictures so I just post from photobucket. Works every time. Bob

Edited by Avanti83

Stereo, & pwr. Ant. working, Tiny fuse was missing from back of unit, must have fell out when Radio removed?? Found 1 tiny wire that shop 'missed", for 'cruise, re connected, still nothing, then found the "black box" way up under dash, 1 amp glass fuse "Blown" Cruise WORKS!! 4 ways are next, but unable to find pwr. source so far , looks like fog lights are some how tied in with 4 ways for pwr. Will also "fix" a "boo boo" they have high beam socket in speedo head ?? & dash socket [guess where]???? Trunk light was "bad" connection at the mercury switch, easy fix there!!! Follow up!!! removed the speedo & swapped out the sockets, not an easy job, found a pwr. source for 4 ways & fogs, got that job done. Road test on Sun. 200 mile trip, everything is A OK cruise is 'erratic" at 50 MPH but smooth, above or below that!!! Still waiting for phone call???

Edited by dualquadpete