Not what I expected.....

Ntenna

So, no Bendix calipers on 63R1454, instead Sumitomo/Dunlop. What's the story on these? (Bleeder is correctly at top, picture imported 90 degrees counter-clockwise). Was just prepping to convert to a Turner kit, had never pulled the front wheels until now. Surprise. 

IMG_1925.thumb.jpeg.967d21a2cc4d950940ff288a569bf631.jpeg

Likely just an Asian replacement for the original.   Toyota used the same (Sumitomo) system on their Crown model, and it was 2.25" vs the 2.125 used by Studebaker.  You can upgrade to the 2.25 pistons on your car also.   The parts list is is on studebaker-info.org

Sumis are a direct replacement. May be the only ones you can buy new. Of course, the originals were labeled Bendix. I have a few of those. Dunlop were an early replacement, not sure if any Studes came from the factory with dunlop. The sumis, used by some Datsun (Nissan) cars seem to work just as well as any of the others. 

40 minutes ago, silverstude said:

Likely just an Asian replacement for the original.   Toyota used the same (Sumitomo) system on their Crown model, and it was 2.25" vs the 2.125 used by Studebaker.  You can upgrade to the 2.25 pistons on your car also.   The parts list is is on studebaker-info.org

I note that the Sumitomo pictured is labeled 2 1/8 (2.125), not 2 1/4 (2.25).   

Thanks, guys. Had larger Sumis on a '72 Datsun Z I used to autocross back in the 80's. Never knew about the Avanti replacement.

The '70 I owned had Sumitomo calipers on it.  Avanti Motors must have purchased them when the Bendix made calipers were either unavailable or too expensive.