1963 metallic gray paint formula

landriopa

The auto paint stores cannot find a paint formula to make the Avanti metallic gray paint. We have the paint codes but they do not cross reference to an actual formula for the mix. Any suggestions?

A well equipped automotive paint store can computer match any color....including any fading present. Even if they can't match the fade, a good paint guy can...as Charlie Kile said.

As has been described above, a good paint supplier has the technology to scan your paint and come up with a color match and type and level of metallic content.

I will say, however, that in spite of all of the technology available, it might be almost impossible to actually match all of the components in the original. To wit, my 83 Avanti is a metallic silver and both my painter and the best paint guy at the supplier could get it close to perfect but in the sun there was just a hint of difference. We finally decided to just repaint the entire car.

Brad may join in on this topic but if you are trying to just blend in sections, I'd recommend painting to a body division like a door line. If you are painting the whole car then it will be a perfect match.

As an aside, when I really looked at my 83 closely and critically, I could see it had been partially painted twice after it left the factory and there was just a slight difference that was detectable after a close scrutiny. The average person walking by would probably see nothing or a slight difference that they would attribute to a shadow or cloud overhead but when you see it and know what it is it will drive you crazy.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

TCP global ( www.tcpglobal.com) in San Diego CA worked up the formula for my light metallic grey '64 Avanti from original formula sheets and an original color chip. They now have this in their color library. The match was perfect. They ship in the US. You have to hunt around the site and find the Color Library. The color may only be under the '64 color code--P6435 rather than the '63 code--P6335. It is probably easier to just call and ask for their "old color expert". They can provide a color in most types of paint--including acrylic lacquer (illegal to use in my area of CA}.

Pete

If you are matching old paint, and trying for a small area, then yes you will have to blend so the area isn't so noticeable. Often you can get real close, but not always. Most large suppliers have spectrum analyzers for a close computer generated color match.

Have them mix 1 oz from the formula, and compare. Often the metallic is too large, and there may be a white in the formula that will cause a milky side cast. Have them elminate the larger metallic and use the ultra fine, and remove most of the white from the formulas, will provide the correct color as original.

Once again, if we're speaking about a spot repair here, ALL metallic colors need to be blended into the adjacent body panel....NEVER leave what is called a 'Definition Line'!

<snip> We have the paint codes but they do not cross reference to an actual formula for the mix. Any suggestions?

Do you have the paint chips for matching? Seems to me that someone used to sell the Avanti chips, but they are also available as chips from major paint makers on eBay and other sources.

http://tinyurl.com/mdpvl5p

However, if you are spotting-in a small repair area, your old paint has to be matched as it is likely faded from original.