VINYL TOP?

boogieman

Anyone ever seen an Avanti with a vinyl top?

Considering the possibilities of adding an interior matching tan top

on my dark chocolate brown '79.

I appreciate vinyl tops.

Among other things they define the '60's and '70's.

There was an Avanti with a full vinyl roof I'd see years ago in early AOAI magazines, and also Turning Wheels. It was shown by its owner at a few International Studebaker meets.

In all honesty, I don't think the vinyl top improved the look of the car.....and there didn't seem to be a really 'clean' way of ending the vinyl at the base of the 'B' pillar.

I have seen chrome trim used on the edges and bases of roofs that look very "factory".

In fact, the '69 Camaro Halo Roof was set back from the drip rails an inch or so and finished with this trim piece

around the perimeter and at the quarter panel junction.

The body line at the roof/quarter panel on Avantis is a perfect separation point being even more pronounced than the early Camaros.

The drip rails and front and rear glass trim moldings are perfect stopping points too.

Still thinking about it. To my eye, vinyl roofs add an elegant touch.

Could someone possibly post one of those old pictures?

Personally...I think vinyl tops are out of date and tend to hide rust until the vinyl starts getting "lumpy"...though that wouldn't be an issue with an Avanti. They can look good on the right car, though.

As far as a vinyl roof on an Avanti, such changes (to my eye) just offer more evidence the Avanti design is too good from the beginning to be messed with. But then again...someone else can do whatever they like with their car and their money...I don't have to approve. I've received criticisms of mine before...like one guy insisting I chose the wrong color for the pinstripe. He was quite adamant about it.

Hey Gunslinger. Out of date for anything modern. or out of date period?

Vinyl tops helped define the cars of the late '60's through the '70's, even later.

I do have to admit that when the sun glints off of the dark metallic brown paint

the red and gold metallic sparkle is spectacular. It seems to glow.

I appreciate vinyl tops. Among other things they define the '60's and '70's.
There was an Avanti with a full vinyl roof I'd see years ago in early AOAI magazines, and also Turning Wheels. It was shown by its owner at a few International Studebaker meets.

That may be the one I've owned for the past several years. If one wanted to define the '60s-70s, this is the ne plus ultra.

The back story is the original owner, Richard Markes, was a Hollywood type and met Raymond Lowey at a party. They got to discussing the never-realized plans drawn up for the '65 Avanti. Lowey provided some copies of the drawings which Markes took to George Barris. The result was quad headlights, vinyl roof, flared rear fenders and knockoff wire wheels.

The owner thus claimed to have "the world's only 1965 Avanti." Why I own the car, I can't say, because to my eye, none of the aforementioned improve the looks of the '63 design. (But then, I don't even like square headlight trim on an Avanti.)

jack vines

IMHO, a vinyl roof does nothing to improve the looks of an Avanti. The 60's and 70's definitely was the time for vinyl roofs. In early 1969 I sold my 64 Avanti R1 and got a 67 SS396, gold with a black vinyl top. Now there was a car that wore a vinyl top well! Today's restorations tend to leave the vinyl tops off these cars to make them look more contemporary, but its taking away from that great period look that all the Chevelles, LeMan's, Skylarks and Cutlass's had with the top. The GM roof was much different than the Avanti and had a much better look to it. The one or two Avantis I have seen with the vinyl roof don't look as good to me as a "uncovered" Avanti.

Avanti II owners with leaky sunroofs might want to consider a vinyl top to "turn off the shower".

Thanks Jack. If I'm not mistaken I seem to recall a picture of a quad headlight Avanti.

Possibly some reference to George Barris, too. Maybe not.

No recollection of a vinyl top or flared wheel well openings.

If you have a picture you could post, myself , and others, would appreciate it.

Wow. A genuine "Barris Kustom" !

PIMP that bad -boy out!

Here's one you can buy, already done. http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4929578283.html

I have seen it but that was several years ago, at the time it didn't run and was being stored outdoors. I think these pics are from way back when but I could be wrong. It's out in Monclair Ca, if anybody wants me to go look at it for them, I'm willing.

Ken Buchanan

• 2 months later...

Doug and Carolyn Crall have a white 63 with a black vinyl roof. Carolyn used to be President of SDC, and Doug was also very active, though not so much any more. They have a 63, 64, convertible and a 64 GT. They also have a correct "B" R3 uninstalled on a stand. Good chance hers is pictured somewhere. Can get contact info if you want it.

• 1 month later...

Ron, actually, Carolyn was president around 1998-2002 of the AOAI (not the SDC). Their white Avanti with black vinyl room was on the cover of Avanti Magazine Issue #110 in 2000.

• 3 weeks later...

I was over at Mike Baker's Avanti Restoration Shop a couple of years ago and he had a Avanti in for full restoration that was Metal Flake Green with a Purple vinyl top. It used large metal flakes like a 60's dune buggy.

That look is still burned into my eyes.