Key Codes on Build Sheet

JavierB

Hi Guys.  I just got the build sheet for my 81, for the express purpose of getting the door key code.

The build sheet, however, has a box for Ign Key Number and Trunk Key Number.  Nothing for the doors.  My owners manual specifies that there are seperate door and ignition keys, as well as glove box and fuel cap keys, four total.  

Since my car has an electric trunk release, and no trunk key, I am *hoping* that the number in the Trunk Key box is actually a door key code?  Anyone have any experience or advice on this?  I currently have no door keys, and thought this would be the simplest way to get them, but again I am stuck.

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 4.34.38 PM.jpg

Yeah, I know, this isn't my first car.  But the manual specifically says there are four keys: Ignition, Door, Glove, and Fuel.  And yes, nonetheless, I did try to see if the ignition key worked, and it does not.  Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to add a different key, but there it is.

Javier,

You may already know, but any good locksmith can make you door keys.They just start out with a brass blank and when done, cut you standard keys.

The reason they are different is that Avanti II switched to a GM steering column with the ignition lock in the column, so it requires a GM-style ignition key; Avanti Motors continued using the original door handles/locks; the door lock cylinders are Studebaker (different than the column cylinder) hence different key types. Same issue with the glovebox lock; besides, in most modern cars the glovebox often requires a unique key so that a parking attendant (who needs the ignition key to park the car) does not have access to the glovebox (and by extension, the trunk, since the trunk button is inside the glovebox)

So, an update on the keys.  The ignition key is a Chrysler Key, and the key codes provided a perfect fit.  The "Trunk Key" code made me another Glove Box key (which I now have 3 of).  Neither of the codes is for the doors.  😞   WHY did they think the glove box code was more important than the door code?  So I have to pull a lock I guess.  A next month project.  stay tuned.

Javier,

Is your Avanti not drivable? As I stated in my last post, “any good locksmith can make you door keys”.  The lock cylinder does not need to be removed for the to make a key. Just the car and a proof of ownership.

23 hours ago, 1inxs said:

Javier,

Is your Avanti not drivable? As I stated in my last post, “any good locksmith can make you door keys”.  The lock cylinder does not need to be removed for the to make a key. Just the car and a proof of ownership.

The car is currently only "semi-drivable" in that it stalls at slow speeds, and I'm working on it.  Getting locked out of it in the process is worrisome, but I'm just leaving the front quarter glass jimmied open right now.  There are a host of little jobs on the list that have to be done in a certain order.  In any event if I could get the car to a locksmith I wouldnt have any problem at all.  Its just a little vexing that the documentation wouldnt contain the door codes.  Anyway, no biggie, moving on.

• 3 weeks later...

I owned a 72 and 74 Avanti which had GM keys for the doors and for the ignition. I owned a 76 Avanti and it had Chrysler keys for the doors and ignition, ALL 3 used a Studebaker key and lock for the glove box (my 76 had the original Studebaker key). Both GM and Chrysler locks will fit the GM/AMC steering column from my experience (I swapped them) and it seems the door locks too. It's possible the door locks were changed due to a door handle swap for better chrome during a repaint.  Just a guess. 

• 1 month later...

A final update to this thread:  Door Keys now acquired.  had to remove the door panel and lock cylinder, but the locksmith had no trouble making a pair from that.