frost plug

steve remick

I had the same one seeping on my Avanti #5255 ....As long as the installer can get a decent hammer blow from underneath the car you're OK...Use a sealer too, you needn't put it in dry ! GOOD LUCK>

Just wanted to add that the starter may need to be removed also.

'Cup type' 1 1/2" steel frost plugs should be available at any auto supply store......I purchased brass marine ones from Dave Thibeault that last 'forever'!

You may want to take the oppurtunity to replace some of the others if they look questionable, and give the block a good 'flush out' with a garden hose at the same time.

When I got my car it turned out that I had to replace all the "hard to reach" casting plugs because all the "easy" ones had already been done. I didn't need to do the left centre one so you are in luck. At least it isn't a tough one.

I would be suspicious of all the plugs unless you can tell that they have been recently replaced. Since you are draining the coolant you might as well do the rest. You WILL have to remove the starter for the left rear and working around the exhaust pipe and oil pan breather tube on the right side is a bit of a pain. Cleaning the crud out of the water jackets with a coat hanger wire and spray nozzle on a hose would also be recommended once you get the plugs out. Messy work!

You can drain most of the coolant using the radiator petcock and the drain plugs at the back of the block. This saves you a face full of nasties when you pop the old plugs into the block. Use a pair of pliers to remove the old plugs once you have them turned in the holes. Remember to clean the bores of any old sealant and gunk that may be present.

My local NAPA was out of 1 1/2 inch plugs so they gave me a 38mm plug to try and it worked just fine. Since I have had to replace a couple of these plugs on my recently acquired '63 Lark I have purchased a box of 1 1/2 inch plugs and keep them on my parts shelf. I use Permatex red for sealing and wait at least 24 hours before refilling and firing back up.

Good luck.