Upgrades - comments welcomed

IndyJimW

Some of the upgrades that I've already make to my '87 Avanti include; Performance Suspension Stage IV kit, front frame bracket, 16x7 wheels and tires, drilled and slotted front brakes with two piston calipers, 2" drop spindles and a Cat-back 2 1/2" exhaust system. :D

I could use any recommendations for some of my next upgrades - ;)

1.) Rear disc brakes - have 2 different systems available in 11", 12" or 13" rotors.

2.) Serpentine belt drive - GM Performance offers a complete bolt on system, it would also switch the alternator with the A/C compressor moving it to the passenger side of the engine. Would really clean up the engine compartment.

3.) Remove belt driven fan and install electric fan system - Current system makes alot of noise, would love to get the noise down to the gentle wind blowing by the window seals. :D

4.) Vintage Air heating and cooling system - I have never seen a bigger mess then the cobbled up heating and cooling system in this car. Well... the wiring comes close. :lol:

1.) Rear disc brakes - have 2 different systems available in 11", 12" or 13" rotors.

Would depend on the size of the front rotors. Did you increase the size of the front rotors when you

put the drilled and slotted rotors and 2 piston calipers on? Mustang GT uses 11 front and 11 rear.

The rear only does like 30% of stopping, so unless you plan on really doing a lot of repeated stops

I would just get the 11 inch rear. Thats what I will be staying with on my brake conversion, even

with the 13 inch front Cobra rotors and 2 piston calipers.

2.) Serpentine belt drive - GM Performance offers a complete bolt on system, it would also switch the alternator with the A/C compressor moving it to the passenger side of the engine. Would really clean up the engine compartment.

Worth while only for cleaning up the engine compartment, I dont think you are going to see any

performance increase. Arent you considering an LT1 upgrade? If so, forget this upgrade.

3.) Remove belt driven fan and install electric fan system - Current system makes alot of noise, would love to get the noise down to the gentle wind blowing by the window seals. :D

Worth while, and a nice improvement, it will help your car warm up faster, and will only work when

its needed, not all the time. Other benefits include no big steel fan to fly through your hard to find

hood or radiator! Should also be good for a few extra Hp.

4.) Vintage Air heating and cooling system - I have never seen a bigger mess then the cobbled up heating and cooling system in this car. Well... the wiring comes close. :lol:

There are simple upgrades to change to R134a, costing 1000s less. Also, if you go with the LT1,

you will have to do this all over again.

Tom

Would depend on the size of the front rotors. Did you increase the size of the front rotors when you

put the drilled and slotted rotors and 2 piston calipers on? Mustang GT uses 11 front and 11 rear.

The rear only does like 30% of stopping, so unless you plan on really doing a lot of repeated stops

I would just get the 11 inch rear. Thats what I will be staying with on my brake conversion, even

with the 13 inch front Cobra rotors and 2 piston calipers.

Front rotors are stock size. The big difference is the 11" is by SSBC Brakes and the others are from Baer Brakes, I'll probably go with best setup.
Worth while only for cleaning up the engine compartment, I dont think you are going to see any

performance increase. Arent you considering an LT1 upgrade? If so, forget this upgrade.

I'm not in a rush to junk the 5.0L yet, so the LT1 upgrade is on hold, also....Chevolet is offering my shop some good prices on NEW 5.7L engines. It looks as if I can drop a RAM JET 350 with a complete fuel injection system for less than the conversion to the LT1. The serpentine setup would bolt up to the 5.7L also.

Worth while, and a nice improvement, it will help your car warm up faster, and will only work when

its needed, not all the time. Other benefits include no big steel fan to fly through your hard to find

hood or radiator! Should also be good for a few extra Hp.

Right after buying my Avanti the water pump shaft broke. Been there and done that, and don't want the t-shirt.

There are simple upgrades to change to R134a, costing 1000s less. Also, if you go with the LT1,

you will have to do this all over again.

Already converted to R134a, the problem is the heater box and controls inside the car, looks like they took three different systems and put them together. A Frankenstein affair at best, with flaps bolted shut, etc. And it doesn't work on top of that.

Tom

Front rotors are stock size. The big difference is the 11" is by SSBC Brakes and the others are from Baer Brakes, I'll probably go with best setup.

I just meant there isnt any reason to go 13" on the rear if you have 11" on the front. ;)

I'm not in a rush to junk the 5.0L yet, so the LT1 upgrade is on hold

Thats too bad ... I have grown to LOVE the LT1! Long lasting POWERFUL engine. The downside is that

there is more stuff to go along with it, computer, high output pump .. etc ...

Tom

:huh:

Some of the upgrades that I've already make to my '87 Avanti include; Performance Suspension Stage IV kit, front frame bracket, 16x7 wheels and tires, drilled and slotted front brakes with two piston calipers, 2" drop spindles and a Cat-back 2 1/2" exhaust system. :D

I could use any recommendations for some of my next upgrades - ;)