Trunk release

J Boyle

I'm having trouble gettting into the trunk of my 63.

When I got my car, the release cable just pulled out an inch or so. Sometimes it took a real tug.

The mechanism seemed very stiff and when I put some WD-40 in the lock it quit working altogether. I’ve loosened the lock itself and it seems like the cable isn’t moving enough. The cable end is still attached to the lock.

After bolting the lock back into place, the cable won't pull out at all.

BTW: the flat washer and lock washer that are supposed to be under the mounting plate as mentioned on page "Body" page 6 of the workshop manual don't seem to be there.

So in a nutshell, I don't know if the problem is the lock (it seems filthy inside, I've done my best to clen it), the way the lock is mounted, or the cable that is the problem.

After pulling up some of the trunk carpet, the cable looks to be original…I seem to be looking at stuff unseen since some guy on the assembly line installed it 43 years ago. The cable retainers are bright orange from rust..

I'd replace the cable, just on general principles. At that age, and especially with the rust you mentioned, it looks like it will break at some point, and you can just about guarantee it wil happen at the most inopportune moment, such as having a trunk full of items that keep you from going through the access hatch to unlock it.

It for the fear of that happening why I never locked the trunk on the '63 I used to own. I intended to install an electric trunk lock but never did before I sold the car some years back. Doing that is an option for you and keep the cable lock as a backup.