89 convertible window regulator

ken1007

Still having trouble with passenger side quarter panel window regulator repair.  It was rebuilt about 10 years ago by Window Motor World, but they are out of parts and can not now repair.  Have been told it uses 1988 Chrysler Chrysler convertible regulator, but can not find such a unit.  Motor is OK, cable and bakalite part are not.  Would like to get car back in operation, any ideas?  Ken, Deltaville Va  

I hate to tell you, I just went through what you are going through with my 87.  I reached out to the far corners of the Avanti world, and there seems to be nothing out there to fix that regulator.  If you have any success, bravo and I hope you share it!  Good luck!

By looking for a 1988 Chrysler lebarron conv rear 1/4 glass repair parts i found this:

backlite part and gear

Don't know if this will ork for your application, I had the same company repair my 1991 1/4 windows and they also said mine was a 1988 Chrysler lebarron conv part.

The 87 I believe is not the Chrysler LeBaron regulator.  It is a mish mash of sorts custom blended together.

On 5/12/2021 at 12:05 PM, Jim S said:

I hate to tell you, I just went through what you are going through with my 87.  I reached out to the far corners of the Avanti world, and there seems to be nothing out there to fix that regulator.  If you have any success, bravo and I hope you share it!  Good luck!

So what do you do when you want to put the top down?  Ken

The top goes up and down fine.  I just don't a good seal for the rear quarter window.  Soon I will be experimenting with replacing the regulator with one I pulled from a 2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible.  It is very similar to what's in my Avanti.

Well I just spent a  whole day with the best fabricator in our area.  We tried to fit the Sebring regulator and it was an epic fail.  So back to square one.  There (to my knowledge) is no replacement on planet Earth for a rear quarter window regulator.  I'll be selling my 3 window car for whatever I can get for it.  Never buy an Avanti convertible that has not been well maintained!

Motor Window World repaired mine recently.  No broken parts, apparently just frayed cable/guides replacement and cleaned motor, $225.  Here are pictures that Jim S asked for in his other post.  Yep, it's a bear to get in and  out - removing the two screws that hold the motor onto the frame (not motor to gear hub) is the key.  Not necessary to remove motor, just slide it out of the way to clear bracket and window slot.

20210504_171803.jpg

20210504_171832.jpg

Thanks for the picture!  The brass colored frame is what is in mine.  However the center part on mine is something different that has been cut and welded.  Do you know what car this was originally intended for?  I keep hearing Chrysler Lebaron, but I have not found a single picture online that looks like what we have.  I have got mine to almost go up and down, but it binds at the curves because there is not room for the glass to slide far enough on the plate in the center.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 1:22 PM, Swampboy said:

Motor Window World repaired mine recently.  No broken parts, apparently just frayed cable/guides replacement and cleaned motor, $225.  Here are pictures that Jim S asked for in his other post.  Yep, it's a bear to get in and  out - removing the two screws that hold the motor onto the frame (not motor to gear hub) is the key.  Not necessary to remove motor, just slide it out of the way to clear bracket and window slot.

20210504_171803.jpg

20210504_171832.jpg

On 5/24/2021 at 1:22 PM, Swampboy said:

20210504_171803.jpg

20210504_171832.jpg

• 1 month later...

The convertible quarter window mechanism pictured above are Driver's Side.  Two nuts on lower photo (above) secure the motor.

Latest issue of Avanti Magazine reminds owners to spray console switches with WD40 and work them well to remove corrosion and improve current to motor.