Composite bumpers, how?

Geoff

I have a question regarding the differences between the early chrome bumper cars and the later blended bumper. What are the physical differences, not only in appearance but to include mounting points or changes made underneath the skin.

I have a keen attraction to the Mid-Ohio GT car and seek to pay homage to it in a build. I could get one of the (300) 1984 & 1985s, or I could expand my search and give an earlier one composite bumpers.

I guess that's a related question: Which way is more economical? Picking up a Newman / Altman II and updating its looks, or initially buying a Blake car?

On the rear of my '85, the composite bumper fits up to the existing bodywork....unlike at the front where the factory, (as IndyJimW says), cut the lower fenders.

So to give a Blake appearance to an earlier car would take cutting of the existing body, the newer SMC pieces, and some fiberglass jig / bonding work? I trust there is a hard steel bumper beneath the SMC cover.

I found an '84 in a junkyard, good for what I'd like but the seller wants 4500 and states the frame is rusty. I'd need him to come down in price to make that worthwhile because it may require a better frame. There are couple other Avantis scattered around the country, an '80 for less than the '84. And that's what inspired this question.